How Compassion International Changed My Life

Let it change yours.

8
Compassion International

A little over two years ago, my path crossed with that of Iranzi Bowazi. He is a 6-year-old boy from Rwanda who no longer has to wonder where his next meal will come from. He lives in Kabeza and attends the Compassion International center at the Lutheran Church in Kabeza. Compassion provides him with a chance to go to school and church along with providing him with school supplies and food.

My oldest brother Jonathan and I were at a youth rally when we found Iranzi's Compassion packet sitting in the seat in front of us. His sweet face broke my high-school heart, and I had exactly $76 in my bank account. I held his packet close to my heart through half of the rally wrestling with God. During the intermission, I walked up to the Compassion table with a $38 check and Iranzi in my hands. I cried as the man making my transaction told me that I was a sponsor. I went back into the auditorium and jumped back into worship with my heart full of love for this child. After a few songs, I noticed that one of my tennis teammates was trying to convince her dad to let her sponsor a child. The answer was no. God began tugging at my heart again. I had $38 left in my bank account and one more check in my purse. Another child being sponsored was worth emptying my account.

The $38 a month was scary, but even through college, God has provided. Iranzi's letters and shared joy has completely transformed my life and has allowed me to change the life of a child forever. For my first Christmas as a sponsor, I sent Iranzi a mere $20, and a month later, I received a letter that Iranzi had dictated to his mother. With what we see as nothing, Iranzi's family repaired their roof, and he bought a goat who instantly became his best friend. The entire two-page letter was about how much he loves his goat and him promising that he will always take good care of it. The joy exuding from that letter will stick with me for the rest of my life. I will never underestimate the power that my pocket change has on him and on his family.

I love my little Rwandan boy, and it is my dream to find sponsors for all of the children in his area. Please join me and Compassion in ending poverty in Jesus' name. Check out the link below to be taken to my Act for Compassion page and at least pray for each child you see.