how to be body positive

Body Positivity Is A Journey, Not A Destination

You should love every part of yourself.

186
Brandy Clymer

Body positivity and self-love are expansive topics. Ones that warrant as many perspectives, opinions, and ideas as possible. They need to be accepted and spoken about more in our daily lives, as they have such an impact. The sheer power they have over women, and men, these days is hard to explain. But, whether we consciously think about it or not, we are defining ourselves and our value based on external standards.

These are topics I have struggled with my entire life, and because of this, I think it's important to share my experiences and thoughts with readers too.

As far as I can remember, I've never loved my body. I've had numerous times when I've felt beautiful or confident, but that was always in spite of my body.

I've been told all my life that being overweight means that you can't be beautiful or worthy of the attention and love you seek. This isn't said out-right to my face, cause who would be that cruel? But, I've been called fat before. I've been rejected because of this before. I've been hurt before.

I've gone through times when I didn't want to leave the house because I didn't like the way I looked. And there are still times when I think people are just looking at me and judging me based on my body.

I can't stop people from calling me names, or from judging me. But, I can stop myself.

Body positivity is about accepting and loving your body, not only when you're the "perfect" size, but when you're all the sizes in-between. It is a mentality and a journey that requires a shift in how you see yourself.

I haven't lost any weight recently, but I feel more confident.

I have to change how I see myself in that I need to see myself through my own eyes, not the eyes of people I don't even know.

Instead of trying to dress how everyone else does, or at times how people my size are deemed they should, I dress to my comfort. I buy and wear clothes that FIT me, not what I want to fit me.

These are just a part of the journey that is self-love. I say journey because to be honest, it's not a destination. There might never be a time when you are "done" and forever happy with your body. That's okay.

Because there is no "goal" per say, you are free to have periods when you can't stand to look at a mirror without the idea that you're falling backward. You can feel amazing one week, then feel like shit, and you're still making progress.

You might think I'm crazy for saying this. Like, how can you be better if you feel worse? You're better because you are becoming more in-tuned with your body. You've felt happy before and you can again.

Don't get me wrong, this is super hard to do. It's not a quick flip of a switch. It's an entire mentality and lifestyle. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that body positivity is a key concept in self-love.

You are not your body, but your body is you. And you should love every part of you.