10 Reasons Why Beth And Randall From 'This Is Us' Are The Epitome Of Strong Black Love

We love to see a strong black couple on TV rise from challenges. And we love to see Beth in satin scarves in bed.

395

"This Is Us" is a thought-provoking, tear-jerking, heartwarming, grab your tissues and your best friend kind of TV show on NBC. It follows the life of three unique triplets, their beautiful parents, and all the real-life struggles of a family. When following the life of the most unique sibling, Randall, a Black child adopted by white parents, we see that he grows up to go to Howard, and marries a Black woman that he met in college, Beth.

It's refreshing to see persistent, never-ending, love just like Jack and Rebecca had - Randall's parents - but it's another thing to see a marriage in such a positive light for black people on TV.

A marriage based on open conversation and honesty. Not only do Beth and Randall show us what it's like to marry our best friend but they show us what strong Black love looks like for these ten reasons:

1. They give us Huxtable and Obama kind of vibes

This is not the first and it certainly won't be the last time we see representation of healthy black relationships on-screen.

2. They are a unit

Everything that they do, they do it together.

3. Their blackness is not washed down

Yes, they do their black children's hair at the dinner table. Yes, Beth wears her natural hair and braids and wears a satin scarf to bed. Yes, Randall has waves. Their culture is preserved. We love it.

4. Beth is a strong black woman

As they say, "behind every strong black man is a strong black woman standing right next to him." Beth is a powerhouse. She doesn't hold back. She gives Randall a reason to push forward.

5. They break the stereotypes of what black love is usually portrayed on television

Let's get into it. Let's get real. "Love & Hip Hop." "Love & Basketball." They're not relationship goals. They provide us with stereotypes of how black men and black women treat each other. Black men do cry. Black women can be comforting.

6. Their love is resilient

Despite any and every adversity, they always have each others back.

7. They affirm their children

In season 3, episode 9, Tess, the oldest daughter, came out to Beth and Randall. It was in this particular episode where we see that Black love in marriage springs Black love in raising children. They affirmed patience. They affirmed understanding.

8. Sacrifice. Sacrifice. Sacrifice.

In season 3, episode 3, Beth got fired from her job and finally confessed to Randall. In order for Beth to get back on her feet to find another job, Randall became a stay at home dad until she was stable. In season 3, episode 6 when Randall ran for city council, Beth made it her duty to make sure her husband was supported. It's about sacrifice. Being able to lay down the ego.

9. Black love = black wealth

Each moment spent is rich and full.

10. Their love persists

When it seems like everything is falling apart, when it seems like life didn't go as planned, love persists. It keeps going. It makes strides to be new every day.