A Brief Look At The Black Girl Magic Taking Over Rio 2016

Just because we're magic, doesn't mean we're not real

13
BET

As we're in the midst of the 2016 Summer Olympics, to say that these athletes came to win is surely an understatement. Many are here for the first time, and others are continuing to not only break records, but are adding to an already high standard. For years, they've trained all over the world and beat unbelievable odds just to get to the world stage that is the Olympics. However, there is something a little more profound this time around. Black women athletes are not only SLAYING in their respective sports, but are also making history to the tunes of their own drums.

1. Gabby Douglas

When she first made her debut at the 2012 Summer Olympics, a then-16 year old Gabby Douglas captivated our hearts both on the balance beam and off. Gabby became the first black gymnast to win gold in the individual all-around competition. Fast forward to 2016, and she's back again representing Team USA, and walked away with another gold medal for the all-around women's competition in gymnastics. While she was busy breaking records, people took to social media to criticize her hair.

I REALLY wish I was kidding. I'm not even going to begin with how I feel about that, so let's move along.

2. Simone Biles

Simone Biles, a fellow gymnast and Olympics newcomer has also left her mark on the gymnastics world. Simone won all-around gold on August 11 with just a 2 point margin, and is adding a few more medals to her collection. On Sunday, she won her third gold medal during the women's vault competition. As of right now, she is the first U.S. woman to win the vault and the first to win three gold medals in gymnastics single games. Of course, the 19 year-old Biles isn't done quite yet, with a few more games left in the next few days. For her however, this is only just the beginning.

3. Simone Manuel

The Team USA gymnasts aren't the only ones breaking records and taking the gold. Simone Manuel is the first black woman in Olympic history to win gold in the women's 100 meter freestyle competition. Simone tied with Penny Oleksiak of Canada for the top prize, and her instant reaction is one that we can all resonate with. During a post-race interview, Simone spoke on other black swimmers who have broken records before her, and being an inspiration. "This medal is not just for me, it's for a whole bunch of people who came before me and have been an inspiration to me...It's for all the people after me who believe they can't do it and I just want to be an inspiration to others that you can do it."

4. Michelle Carter

This past Friday, Michelle Carter became the first American woman to win the gold in the women's shot put competition since 1960. Michelle's winning throw at 20.63 meters put her in first with just .2 meters over New Zealand's Valerie Adams, ending her winning streak. She is also the first black woman to do so, but that's not all that makes the self-proclaimed "Shot Diva" special. Michelle, along with her father Michael are now Team USA's first ever father-daughter combination to win medals at the Olympics. Her father competed back in 1984, and won silver for the same event.

5 & 6. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce & Elaine Thompson

Left: Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, right: Elaine Thompson

Team Jamaica's Elaine Thompson is now a two-time champion of the women's 100 meter, ending fellow teammate Shelly-Ann Fraser-Price's two-time bid. Thompson clocked in at 10.71 seconds, while Fraser-Pryce came in at 10.86 seconds, finishing in third. Although Shelly-Ann lost her title, it's safe to say that she's not too disappointed. "What I'm most happy about is the 100m title is staying in Jamaica. I'm on the podium with my training partner. I'm proud of Jamaica," she said in a post-interview. Regardless of who won, these ladies are still the two fastest women in all of Jamaica.

7. Tori Bowie

Last but definitely not least, we have Tori Bowie, representing the Team USA women's track team. Bowie was also a competitor in the women's 100 meter, and placed second with 10.83 seconds, making this her first Olympic win. This gives the U.S. a back to back silver in the competition, following Carmelita Jeter during the 2012 Olympics in London.

All-in-all, these ladies proved what real training and dedication can lead you to. Congratulations to all of these women on their hard work, and we hope to see more of it in the coming days.