10 Reasons You Should NEVER Let Anyone Tell You To 'Birkenstop'

In defense of the Jesus-approved sandal.

1072
CC0 Creative Commons at Pixabay

As I walked around the high school hallways, I saw them everywhere, and, like you, I was petrified... Once I got to college, I thought I could finally escape them. It was a new era in my life after all -- or so I thought. Unfortunately, I soon realized that I was terribly wrong. They crawled their way into my life from every direction. They infiltrated my social media pages like Russian bots and snuck onto my Pinterest feed like Stitch Fix ads. Worst yet, campus was even more infested with them than high school was!

I'm talking about the ugly and expensive Birkenstock; recently I had to face this very simple first world problem and after reading this, you will have to face it too: You can either resist and push back on buying them until next summer, or you can admit you need them and give in today...as I did. What makes them worth it? Keep reading to find out!

1. Jesus wore them.

When the most perfect person ever chooses this shoe style, they've got to be good. This is why next time someone calls your Birks "Jesus shoes," you should totally take it as a compliment!

2. They are eco-friendly.

They use sustainable materials and are manufactured in Germany where businesses uphold superb labor ethics.

3. They are good for your feet.

These shoes were made for walking! They mold to your foot shape and learn how to perfectly hug your arches with every step.

4. They come in vegan versions.

They received PETA's Most Vegan-Friendly Shoe of The Year award and still knew how not to compromise style diversity or comfort upon making this cruelty free shoe.

5. They come in SO many different styles.

Not into the vegan hippy look? That's fine; get the monochrome white or the rose gold to make them fit perfectly with your style.

6. They are vegan, Fashion Week, and Greek life approved.

Your granola-loving camp counselor, the sorority girl in the dorm next door and the models at Paris Fashion Week all love this same shoe. In fact, I have seen this shoe paired with t-shirts and athletic shorts, leggings, summer dresses, and jeans. With so much versatility, it's easy to see how they can easily be rocked by people from all walks of life.

7. They can handle all of your adventures.

Easy to slip off during airport security and comfortable, yet stylish enough for the streets of New York and Spain; this shoe can seriously do it all!

8. You can wear them during all seasons.

Ever heard of socks and stocks? This popular style is perfect for fall or winter. In fact, there are ways to wear this shoe during all seasons! Don't believe me? Look them up on Pinterest or Polyvore yourself; you'll find an overwhelming array of trendy yet comfortable looks for any time of the year.

9. They are gender neutral.

They don't care if you identify as male, female, or something in between. They know how to make everyone look good!

10. When everything seems to be going downhill, you know you can always rely on your trusty Birks.

Did you just go through a breakup? They'll support your arches through all the pacing that happens during the heartbreaking phone calls.

Rejected from your major? Birkenstocks remind you that it takes time to make it big in this world but that your efforts will be worth something in the end. The Birkenstock shoe was rejected from society for a while, but, today, this shoe is winning awards left and right - just like you will one day!

Did someone further demolish your self-esteem? Your Birks were called ugly by many people too, but they don't let anyones comments get to them. They know looks are not that important to be successful anyway, yet they still know how to embrace their aesthetic and flaunt a "je ne sais quoi" vibe to fit your effortlessly chic style.

These shoes are worth the hype so if you get a chance to save up and splurge on a fashion piece, I suggest you try these. There's a reason this brand has lasted over 244 years!