BIG Ten East Football Preview

BIG Ten East Football Preview

All things BIG Ten East Football 🏈

194
https://www.pexels.com/photo/grass-grassland-54567/

As the dog days of summer begin to come to an end, some gladly welcome the Indian summer, while others don't. For some, the fall means that the dreaded frosty nights, snow and slush pile up, and the icy roads are around the corner, but to me fall is the most wonderful time of the year. Its FOOTBALL time. I don't know about you, but I am in love with anything football, and my guess is that you have some sort of interest in it as well.

The Michigan State Spartans, (GO GREEN!) had a pretty good season last year, as they flipped the script from the 2016 season and added a bowl win on top of it (10-3). They finished 2nd in the BIG Ten East Division, but had an epic win over Penn State and Michigan. The Spartans have named Brian Lewerke, Junior Quarterback, Joe Bachie, Junior Linebacker, and Khaki Willis, Senior Safety as the 2018 Captains. They face Utah State at Spartan Stadium on Aug. 31 at 7pm. I feel that with these three leaders, the killer defense and Lewerke as quarterback, this should be an easy win for the Spartans. 28-10 MSU

The maize and blue Michigan Wolverines come off an 8-5 season, losing to the Gamecocks of South Carolina in the Outback Bowl, the only BIG Ten team to lose their bowl game. Last week, Jim Harbaugh named Ole Miss transfer, Shea Patterson as the starting quarterback against the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. The Wolverines will travel to South Bend, and this game will either revive the hopes of the season Harbaugh has promised ever since his arrival in 2015, or the tough loss will be heartbreaking. Chase Winovich, a 5th year senior defensive lineman, will lead the team all year, as he had an impressive season last year. The Primetime Nail Biter will be on Sept. 1. 24-21 Notre Dame

After the off season drama, the Ohio State Buckeyes are looking to prove that they are the powerhouse of the East once again. As the reigning BIG Ten Champs, the Buckeyes come off of a 12-2 season, including a victory over USC in the Cotton Bowl. With Urban Meyer's three game suspension, the Buckeyes will not face a real competition, until week 5 against Penn State, without their head coach. Sophomore Dwayne Haskins scored the starting quarterback job, but will have tough shoes to fill with the loss of JT Barrett, but he has some experience of winning against arch rivals Michigan last year at home. The Buckeyes will host the Oregon State Beavers on Sept. 1 at noon, and this game will be the Buckeye show all four quarters. 42-7 OSU

Happy Valley, home to the Penn State Nittany Lions, was electric all season as the Nittany Lions finished 3rd in the BIG Ten East Division, with an 11-2 season including the win over Washington in the Fiesta Bowl. James Franklin lost star running back Saquon Barkley to the NFL, but will have 5th year senior Trace McSorley return in order to seek revenge against the Buckeyes. Penn State will host Appalachian State on Sept. 1st at 3:30 pm. 35-14 Penn State

Indiana Hoosiers came 6th in the BIG Ten East, lead by first year coach Tom Allen, with a 5-7 season. Indiana did win against conference foes Rutgers and Illinois. Illinois will travel to Florida International University to make up last year's cancelation, on Sept. 1 at 7pm. 14-7 FIU

The Maryland Terrapins finished 7th in the BIG Ten East and a 4-8 season. Third year coach DJ Durkin faced some trouble in the off season, accused of creating a 'hostile' environment for the football program. Still waiting to find out Durkin's consequences, while Matt Canada steps in while Durkin is on administrative leave.The Terms will travel down the road to Fedex Field to face the Texas Longhorns on Sept. 1 at noon. 24-17 Texas

Rutgers finished 5th in the East Division, a 4-8 season under their belts with wins against Illinois, Maryland, and Purdue. The Rutgers will host Texas State on Sept. 1 at noon. 14-10 Texas State

Final Prediction Penn State wins the East Division (11-1, loss to MSU) and will face Wisconsin (12-0) for the BIG Ten Title. 28-24 PSU