An Open Letter To My Big

An Open Letter To My Big

College gave me a lifelong best friend that I can respect, look up to, admire and confide in. College gave me you.
22

Biggie,

From the minute you popped out of my box and became my big forever, I knew there was something special about being your little.

I went to college and didn't know much about the sorority world, it was foreign to me. For most people, they've grown up anticipating bid day and praying they get into the sorority they've followed for years. Regardless of the fact that I was a freshman, halfway across the country, away from familiarity, I was thrown into a world full of friendships and sisterhood and best of all, I met YOU.

From the day we met, we instantly clicked and made a connection. We barely knew each other but we knew we were already the perfect pair. And that stays true to this day.

From my freshman meltdowns, stressful complications in school and my health and crying my eyes out to the point you couldn't even understand what I was saying, you loved me all the same. You introduced me to people, you made me feel included in school, in sorority and in your life.

The concept of having a little is wonderful, but it is also something you can't avoid. No matter what, you're accepting a new person into your life and friendships. Most of the time it all works out for the best and you and your big have a phenomenal relationship forever. But, there are also the big-little relationships that can end in hurt, exclusion or some other issue.

Last year, you made my experience at TCU one to remember, love and cherish. You never judged me for the mistakes I made during my freshman year, and I'll admit it, there were quite a few mistakes I made. You would just hear me out and gently guide me back on track. You shared your freshman year challenges and choices you made to let me know that everything was going to be ok and that we've all been there.

At the beginning of college, I didn't know who I was or what I wanted in life, and for a little bit, I lost myself. But you were a constant support in my life, you made me want to be better and be who I authentically am, because that's what YOU. You don't make excuses for anything, you make every relationship intentional and you stay grounded in your beliefs and your opinions.

Now, because of you, I found myself again, something I didn't realize I had lost.

You're not only my big, or my best friend, you're a true big sister to me and I appreciate everything you've done for me. You've stuck up for me, you've invested time in our relationship, you've been a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on. You've made me laugh and smile more than I can count and you've never left my side.

The best gift I have received in college is you. College gave me a lifelong best friend that I can respect, look up to, admire and confide in. College gave me you.