Beyond the Legend: My Experience of The Saint Paul Winter Carnival

The legend of the Saint Paul Winter Carnival is but a story; beyond that is family, inspiration, and magic.

54
Kailyn Mae Johnson

In 2014, I was crowned as a royal ambassador for the city of Big Lake, Minnesota. Along with my two other crown sisters, our job duties were quite extensive: serve hundreds of community service hours, attend countless parades and coronations, always be a role model, represent your city proudly, create relationships with neighboring communities, and give people a reason to remember your humble home of Big Lake. I never realized that the community ambassadorship programs had ties to something much more magical.

I first experienced carnival at one of my first events as an ambassador. At the Hopkins Royal Coronation, a troop of men dressed in blue assembled along the stage curtain by the commands of the Prime. Marching in time with each other, they formed a strong, defensive line across the stage. Two by two, princes escorted their symbolic women of winter across the stage. Announced in order of North, East, South, and West, they all lined up together awaiting the grand entrance of their leaders. Then they came; King Boreas and Queen Aurora gracefully bounded to center stage. While I sat in the dim auditorium gazing upon this royal family, I never realized at the time what an impact this magical legend would have on me.

In St. Paul, Minnesota, a glorious celebration takes place every winter known as the Saint Paul Winter Carnival, The Coolest Celebration on Earth. It’s founded by the Saint Paul Festival and Heritage Foundation and their mission is “To foster a sense of community, pride, belonging and connectedness by celebrating Saint Paul’s unique history and emerging heritage through fun and educational experiences.” Held in Rice Park in the downtown area, there are intricate decorations of lights strung upon the trees and fences with sculptures of ice and snow strewn about the park making the Winter Carnival the best way to celebrate the spirit of winter in Minnesota.

Along with the beautiful décor, there are endless events to partake in throughout the month. Things like parades, running competitions, fundraisers, kids’ days, musical entertainment, ice skating, fireworks, tournaments, and so much more. But all of these events don’t even scratch at the surface of what Winter Carnival really is and what the legend of carnival tells of.

The full legend of the Saint Paul Winter Carnival is one of magic and history. It tells of five brothers who rule over the winds of winter; Boreas, King of the Winds, Titan, Prince of the North, Euros, Prince of the East, Notos, Prince of the South, and Zephyrus, Prince of the West. Each of the princes escort a beautiful princess from the Realm of Boreas. The King himself escorts the fairest maiden of the realm, Aurora, Queen of the Snows. Together, they not only resemble the legend of carnival, but they create a royal family that carries on the tradition and celebration of the Saint Paul Winter Carnival. Along with this, their duties are similar to that of other community ambassadors: attending parades and coronations, being a positive role model, etc.

I’ve been inspired by the spirit of carnival since the first day I witnessed King Roger Kruse and Queen Abby Hoglin present their royal family in 2014. Since then, I’ve witnessed two new queens take reign, one of which is a personal friend and great inspiration to me. I’ve learned more about carnival and the magic they represent. I’ve imagined myself taking part in my own royal family someday: inspiring young women, carrying on the tradition, and becoming a memorable queen or princess from my actions in communities across the country.

However, carnival has given me more to imagine than simply becoming a historical woman of the St. Paul Winter Carnival Legend. The love and passion that the royal family holds in their hearts and present to the communities they visit is beyond admirable. While some people only see a group of characters and crowns, there is so much more. They carry a story and a history that is held to dearly to each of them. They share what it means to them in their own unique way. While my chances to become a Queen Aurora someday may be slim, I, as well as everyone else, can be just as passionate about what I love and can carry that with me wherever my own legend takes me.

For more information on the Saint Paul Winter Carnival, visit https://www.wintercarnival.com/ .