6 Reasons Why Bethlehem Is My Forever Home

Not your Bethlehem, Jesus.

27
George M. Fattell

Whenever people ask where I'm from, I tell them Bethlehem. Sometimes, they think I mean the legitimate Bethlehem, you know, the one where Jesus was born, and as cool as it would be to actually come from that specific Bethlehem, I grew up in Pennsylvania. Despite the huge letdown people sometimes get, I still find my Bethlehem to be pretty awesome and here's why:

1. We're known as "Christmas City U.S.A."

Fun fact: there are over 12 Bethlehems in the United States, and there are even more spread throughout the world. Unlike all the other worldwide Bethlehems; however, the Bethlehem I'm from is officially known as "Christmas City, U.S.A." which, according to the article, "Little Towns of Bethlehem," was established in 1937. Ain't no other Bethlehems in the States got that on us!

2. Christkindlmarkt

In sticking with the Christmas theme, plenty of places in the US (besides Bethlehems) have Christkindlmarkts, but since we're Christmas City, ours comes with high expectations. Over the course of five weeks, more than 100 vendors per week set up their shops to sell ornaments, soaps, hats, etc. to people who come from all over the country to experience this traditional event. There are performances from various schools and performing arts centers, as well as glass-blowing demonstrations, ice carving, and plenty of delicious food to eat.

3. SteelStacks Gingerbread House Competition

Another Christmas favorite of Bethlehem's residents is the annual Gingerbread House Competition. Grades six to eight, nine through twelve and families with children ages 12 and younger can participate. Within this event, three different competitions are held for the respective age groups. Admission is free, and the monetary prizes are decent. Once the competitions are over, the gingerbread houses are displayed on the first floor of SteelStacks/ArtsQuest. Although it's too late to enter the competition, winners for this year will be announced on December 20th.

4. Hotel Bethlehem

If you've been to Bethlehem, but haven't been inside Hotel Bethlehem, you're missing out. This hotel is incredibly gorgeous, and they always have special events going on. My parents and I usually go here for Mother's Day, where it's always crowded. People often hold their weddings, proms, or baby showers here, and it's so popular that the walls in the bar section of the hotel are covered with photos of famous people who've visited such as Sir Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, and JFK. If you've yet to see this gorgeous and significant place, I'd highly recommend going.

5. McCarthy's Red Stag Pub and Whiskey Bar

If you've never been to this restaurant featuring authentic Irish food, there's something seriously wrong with you. Although they don't have many vegetarian options, they always have Potato Leek Soup (which I can eat!). Even if you're not in the mood for Irish food, though I don't know why you wouldn't be, they have a large variety of teas, which never disappoint. On Sunday nights, my family and I go to trivia, and from Thursday to Saturday, various bands come and play, obviously staying within the theme of the British Isles. One of my favorite bands that played there a few times is Without George. This group has extensively toured in Ireland, Europe, and the United States. I'd highly recommend you check them out!

6. Musikfest

If you love fried food, beer, and free music, this event is for you. Every August Bethlehem hosts over 300 talented performers in the span of 10 days. Similarly to Christkindlmarkt, tents are set up throughout Main Street while people sell paintings, furniture, clothing, etc. If you're willing to spend a lot of money on the more well-known bands, this is definitely the place to go. In previous years, Weezer, Maroon 5, The Goo Goo Dolls, and Sheryl Crow performed. Last summer Sabrina Carpenter, a Bethlehem native, who plays the best friend on "Girl Meets World" was one of the main acts. If you aren't a fan of drunk people and crowds, I wouldn't recommend this event, but even going once is fun; it's a great way to support small up-and-coming bands. A few summers ago when I went with my boyfriend, we discovered one of our favorite folk bands there--Forlorn Strangers. Although that was a few years ago, we continue listening to them and attended one of their concerts in D.C. Even though Musikfest can sometimes be annoying, especially when dealing with crowds, in reality, it's legendary and besides, who'd say no to alcohol and free music?

Although this only listed a few memorable aspects of Bethlehem, there is plenty more to see and discover. If you want to go to Christkindlmarkt or hear free music, it's definitely the place to go. Bethlehem has always been there for me, and I will always consider it home.