The best things that have happened in January 2017

With so much negativity going around, let's take a look at the most positive things happening.

1081

As 2016 ended, everywhere I looked people were shouting negativity. I agree, 2016 wasn't the best year in our history but there were so many things of which to be thankful.

Often, you see what you look for. My challenge for everyone in 2017 is to look for the good. In an effort to inspire that, I'm going to highlight the top things that happen each month in 2017 As we move forward. Here are the January highlights.

1. Leading ladies Michelle Obama and Melania Trump set an example of class and respect.
Regardless of political affiliations or difference of opinion, these ladies showed us how to meet in the middle and respect each other during the transfer of presidencies.

2. An Iowan principal asks student to shave his head.
A 6th-grade boy shaved his head to support his grandfather who is suffering from stage 4 lymphoma. When the boy came to school, students made fun of him. This middle school principal decided to teach the students a lesson.

3. A Tulsa police officer is creating a community policing effort to break cycles and keep kids out of trouble.
Popsey Floyd is on a mission to create a positive relationship with the police department and community. He is seeking to deter high-risk kids from troubled futures by rewarding them for positive behaviors. He's seeking out kids who are "off-track" and working to get them "on track." He is also creating a bond between troubled communities and the police department. Often, these communities have very negative views or relationships with police. He wants to show these kids, police officers care about them and want to encourage them.

4. Teen with terminal cancer is creating a random act of kindness chain reaction.
A teenage girl in New Brunswick is a terminal cancer patient inspiring hundreds around the world. Becca Schofield is showing others that joy comes from within. "I want them to take the focus away from all the bad things that happen in this world and I want them to realize that this life is a gift and you have to cherish every moment that you get," Schofield told CTV News. "Do something to make someone smile and then tweet what you did under the hashtag #BeccaToldMeTo."

5. Ohio police officer doesn't consider himself a hero after pulling a man from a car, moments before it explodes.

6. Atlanta women's marchers and police officers high five
These marchers showed the country how to have a respectful protest and these police officers showed their respect to the marchers. They're showing us all, despite your beliefs you can be respectful to one another.

7. 11-year-old obtains yoga certification and teaches yoga three days a week after mom's battle with cancer.

There's so much good in this world. Go out and find it. If you can't find it, create it.