Best Spots To Visit In Boston And Cambridge

Don't Be A Tourist--Experience The Real City.

22
Richard Cox

Boston is one of the greatest cities in the United States. It has amazing museums, restaurants, scenery and shopping. When most people visit Boston, they typically go to the same tourist attractions and don’t experience many of the hidden gems Boston has to offer. So next time you’re in Boston or Cambridge, skip the Duck Tours, skip the trip to Quincy Market, and check out what else Boston has to offer.

Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA)

The ICA is a relatively small museum located in South Boston, right on the water. Many of their exhibits are ever changing, making it different nearly every time you visit. It’s not just paintings and photographs, there's been poetry, film and dance on display before so there’s really something for everyone. The best part is an amazing room with one wall completely made of windows overlooking the water. If you find yourself at the ICA, checking out that room is a must. The view is breathtaking.

The North End

The North End is also known as Boston's "Little Italy." The streets are lined with Italian restaurants, authentic pizzeria's and amazing bakeries (for calzones or pizza, I recommend Umberto’s and for baked goods I recommend none other than Mike’s Pastries). There’s also the historic Haymarket, located near the Freedom Trail in the heart of Boston. Vendors here sell fresh fruits and vegetables along with other goods. The energy in the North End is amazing and foodies; if you want some amazing authentic Italian food this is the place to be.

Boston Public Garden

While the Boston Public Gardens are most certainly a tourist trap, it is still worth a visit. With beautiful greenery, fountains and flowers (if it’s the season for it), you’ll find yourself taking lots of pictures. This is also the location of the Make Way for Ducklings statue. (a favorite amongst locals) A stroll through Public Garden on a nice day is a the perfect way to experience some of the beauty Boston has to offer.

Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill is one of Boston's oldest neighborhoods, and still to this day you can experience the cobblestone streets and brick buildings that reflect Boston's colonial origins. The narrow streets and seeing the old brickwork, gas lamps, decorative doors and iron work not only provide some amazing photo ops. But will make you feel as though you've stepped back into 1795 (the year it was built)

Mt. Auburn Cemetery

You’re probably wondering why a cemetery would be on a list of great places to visit. Well, this cemetery has an amazing view. It’s actually in Cambridge, not Boston, but it’s still worthwhile. The cemetery is located on a hill and at the top is Washington Tower. By climbing to the top of the tower you can take in an absolutely spectacular view of Cambridge.

Legal Seafoods in Kendall Sq. or Harborside

You may know Legal Seafoods as an upscale restaurant chain, but the first ever Legal Seafoods was built in Kendall Square located in Cambridge. It burnt down in 1980 but was rebuilt, so you can have great food at an original hotspot. But if you’re looking for seafood on the water, there is Legal Harborside. With stunning views, and delicious food; Legal Harborside should be at the top of your list next time you're in Boston.

Museum of Fine Arts (MFA)

The Museum of Fine Arts is a huge museum with many different styles of art displayed within. With everything from Monet to contemporary pieces of art, there is something here for everyone. You can spend hours on end in this museum, and if you have the time, definitely soak up every part. Get lost in the MFA.

The Esplanade

The Esplanade is located by the Charles River and its flat walking paths make it a popular location for runners and sightseer's alike. During the 4th of July, this location is one of the best spots to watch the fireworks, or listen to the Boston Pops orchestra. The water glistens with sunlight and at night you can admire the brightly lit Cambridge skyline. It’s a spot for family fun or romance and is worthwhile if you’re visiting Boston.