11 Things You Miss About Being Single When You're In A Relationship

11 Simple Things You Miss About Being Single When You're Cuffed Up

Here's to all the queens who love casually dating, but got struck by cupid anyway.

140
Kaylee McCallister

I loved being single, but cupid got to me good. Everyone has a different dating experience, some people absolutely hate dating and just want to find their soulmate already, and others love having the variety and freedom of going out with different people.

I would say I'm a little bit of both. I love having a partner, but I don't need one. As Cher put it, "A man is not a necessity. A man is a luxury... like dessert." While I love dessert (and men), they're not a necessary part of being happy. I love being in a relationship, but there are a few things I do miss about not being committed. Things like:

1. Dressing to impress

I'm pretty comfortable with my boyfriend, so when we go out I dress however I feel like. I'm don't feel the need to impress my boyfriend because he's already seen me in my best (and worst) moments. I think everyone in a relationship misses the feeling getting dressed up to go out on a date.

2. Going on a different date every night

Different men mean different dates. Some men prefer romantic dates and others opt for more adventurous nights out. I've been on everything from the casual dinner and a movie to picnics on the beach to amusement parks to museums (the best way to get to know someone if you ask me). I have to give my boyfriend credit, though because he is always down for any adventure if I'm into it and I'm so lucky for that, but I also have to be responsible for the planning which is something I never had to do when I was dating. The good news is, I get everything I want instead of going with the flow.

3. Milking the "talking" stage

Believe it or not there was a time when I thought relationships were like prison, before I met my boyfriend, because that's how I felt about my relationships in the past. I hated problems that jealousy caused in my past relationships (seriously, the worst), so I would stay in the talking phase as long as possible that way they couldn't have a say in my relationship status and who I spend my time with. I was interested in having fun with whoever I wanted to. Until you find a man that doesn't have jealousy problems (it's rare, I know), it's more fun to stay single and date around in the meantime.

4. Free drinks at the bar

When I was single, I didn't feel too guilty about accepting free drinks. Now that I'm in a relationship, if my boyfriend isn't there, I pay for my own drinks. (And no, buying me a drink doesn't mean you'll get any, even if I'm single).

5. No feelings

Back when I didn't have to overthink his feelings because I don't even know his name. These were the simple times when I could just grab my shoes and leave.

6. No ex-girlfriend drama

Jealous exes don't seem to come forward until you make it "Facebook Official," then they find the need to give their unsolicited opinion.

7. The wild dating stories 

If you've dated before, you know sometimes you gotta weed out the crazy ones. Part of me enjoyed having these stories to go back to my friends with. In the moment it may be stressful, but after you reflect and find humor in the craziness, it makes for one good story. Whether you find out he has a girlfriend, or you guys get lost in the middle of nowhere, it's a hilarious story to tell on a girls' night out.

8. The freedom to ghost whenever

Being that I live with my boyfriend, I can't really ghost him if we had a bad night.

9. Only worrying about yourself

When you're single or dating, you only really have one set of emotions to care about: your own. Being in a relationship brings on a new responsibility of not only caring about your own feelings but also catering to your partner's feelings as well. Being in a relationship can sometimes get overwhelming in this way because sometimes you have to deal with mixed emotions, which can cause a lot of conflict between you and your partner.

10. Flirting

For obvious reasons, because who doesn't like being a tease?

11. Laughing with your friends about the guys from high school who you matched with on Tinder

Oh, what fun.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.