Best Places to Visit in Ecuador
Travel

Best Places to Visit in Ecuador

Just because summer is almost over, doesn't mean you can't start planning your vacation.

15
Best Places to Visit in Ecuador

Summer is almost over and while some are coming back from vacation, you're planning yours. The thought of escaping the harsh winters that'll be upon us has you feeling excited.

But you don't know where you want your next travel destination to be. Should you head to Europe, Asia, how about South America?

One place that should at the top of your list is Ecuador. Why?

When the US is heading into the cooler seasons, September marks the start of spring for Ecuador. Heading to this beautiful country means you get to escape the cold winters and enjoy days on the beach.

Convinced? That said, let's go over some of the best places to visit in Ecuador.

Here we go!

Galapagos Islands

Ever wondered why they named the islands what they're known as today? It's because of all the giant tortoises that inhabit the land.

If you're a fan of wildlife, this is the destination for you. The Galapagos Islands offer a wide array of wildlife, perfect for watching a unique ecosystem in play.

Birds rule the area, with 28 different species being unique only to the Islands. You'll see the Galapagos penguins, waved albatross, even the flightless cormorant.

While it's a gorgeous place to visit, it is one of the remaining active volcanic regions in the world. With volcanic activity still happening, you'll need to be accompanied by a guide.

Even though it's made up of about 13 larger islands, six smaller ones, and about 42 islets, there's only around two to three areas tourist can go without a guide. This is because, in the 1950's, the whole island was declared part of the Galapagos National Park.

Quito

You can't visit a country without going to its capital. In this case, Quito is the capital of Ecuador.

Here you'll be able to see the country's rich history in its colonial architecture. Beautiful churches, public squares, and museums are a plenty.

If you're looking to pick up some souvenirs to bring back to the states, Quito is the best place to shop for local wares. There's everything from handmade ceramics to intricate wood carvings. Technically, this city is an artisan's dream.

If your trip doesn't allow you enough time to visit every historical building, the one to stop to see is the San Francisco Church. It dates back as far as the 1500s.

Its Baroque interior makes it a must-see destination. Not only that but its religious paintings, carvings, sculptures, and handcraft furniture will make you feel like you stepped right into that era.

When you're ready to head to the next destination, you can travel by train. While you wouldn't think of traveling by train as something that's in Ecuador, Quito offers train tours that head to either Machachi or El Boliche. From there, you'll be passing by a few volcanos and Cotopaxi National Park.

Guayaquil

Ecuador's largest city is also the gateway to the famous Galapagos Islands. While the previous places mentioned give you more country vibes, the city of Guayaquil is where you'll find entertainment and great shopping venues.

Full of different plazas, the city also features a large waterfront. Near the Guayas river lays a huge boardwalk.

You still get hints of the city's history with historical sites and museums but it's a great mix of times gone by and modernity.

One attraction every tourist must do are the boat tours. The best time to go is during the evening when the city is all lit up. It's an explosion of color that's reflected on the water for a stunning experience.

Banos de Agua Santa

A popular tourist destination, this calls for all hikers, bikers, and kayakers alike. Its natural hot springs will lure you in but then you'll be taken back by all the luscious scenery.

Surrounded by numerous waterfalls, the hot springs of Banos make it a relaxing place to visit. Not only that but it's full of fun trails to hike or bike, and plenty of pit stops.

One stop to make is the Virgen de Agua Santa church. You'll see a famous statue of Mary while also being able to shop for local goods. While you're there, try what the town deems as their famous candy---melcocha, which is made from cane sugar.

Otavalo Market

You can't visit a country that's rich in history and full of charm without purchasing some handmade and local goods. That's where Otavalo Market, located in the town of Otavalo comes in.

There's plenty of stalls with local artisans selling rugs, blankets, clothes, and other similar items.

If you're heading to Ecuador during the month of June, be sure to stop in Otavalo for their Inti Raymi or festival of the sun. It's a huge music festival where local musicians come together to play their songs with native instruments.

Cuenca

Known for its colonial buildings, Cuenca is the capital of Azuay Province. Its architectural places and features are similar to those in the city of Quinto.

It's more of a quiet area so there will be fewer tourists which means less crowds. Perfect if you're wanting a low-key vacation.

Cobbled streets outline old buildings where you can find plenty of churches. One of the most important is the Old Cathedral of Cuenca. It was built in 1567 and made with stones that belonged to Inca buildings.

You can see this attraction from anywhere as it's hard to miss its blue-tiled domes. Inside, the Museum of Religious Art lives.

Who knew Ecuador is a country that's rich in history while also providing plenty of entertainment? It's a travel destination suited for anyone who's tired of the average beach vacation.