Top 10 "Ricky and Morty" Moments

Top 10 "Ricky and Morty" Moments

Warning: Contains some violent and squanchy gifs

7426
Top 10 "Ricky and Morty" Moments
Reddit

Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon's "Rick and Morty" has stolen my little soul. I've come to the conclusion that Roiland and Harmon are absolute geniuses. "Rick and Morty" are weird, controversial, hilarious, and sometimes surprisingly insightful and philosophical. The show is so much more than it seems because it's not afraid to go to those dark places and get deep and depressing. What makes "Rick and Morty" such an ingenious show is its ability to balance the absurd with the profound.

So here is a look at the show's Top 10 Best Moments, according to me (and probably a ton of other fans):

1. The Introduction to Fan Favorite Mr. Meeseeks

Season 1, Episode 5, "Meeseeks and Destroy," is the episode that really made me fall in love with the show. Like many pilots, the "Rick and Morty" pilot does not fully represent the absolute quality of the show as a whole. I wasn't all that impressed with it, so my sister (who introduced me to the show) skipped ahead to "Meeseeks and Destroy" and that was when I really began to really appreciate the show and fall in love. When Summer, Jerry, and Beth ask Rick to help them solve some menial tasks around the house, Rick shows them the Meeseeks Box and out pops Mr. Meeseeks whose sole existence is centered around solving the task given to it. When Jerry asks Mr. Meeseeks to help him take two strokes off his golf game, believing it to be an easy task, things begin to spiral out of control.

Meeseeks are only meant to 'live' for a minimal amount of time -- a few hours at most -- and when Mr. Meeseeks is incapable of completing the task given by Jerry, the Meeseeks begins to go insane. What follows is a hilarious attempt of hundreds of Mr. Meeseeks, all summoned by one another, to take off two strokes from Jerry's golf game. The original Mr. Meeseeks begins to look haggard and the other Meeseeks all begin to go insane as well, resulting in an all-out rage fest where they try to kill each other and end their existence(s). Existence is painful, right?

2. Morty's Realization about Life and Death

In Season 1 Episode 6, "Rick Potion #9," Rick royally screws up and ends up destroying their world by turning everyone into blob-like monsters called "Cronenberg's" -- though it must be noted that none of this would have happened if Morty didn't ask for a roofie potion to make the girl he likes, Jessica, fall in love with him. After their world is destroyed, Rick and Morty leave and travel to an alternate universe where the Rick and Morty of that world had just been killed, then assuming their identities. Since the show doesn't usually follow plot lines from previous episodes, it seems like this was going to be the last mention of Rick and Morty being out of place in a new reality. However, two episodes later in "Rixty Minutes," Morty reveals his and Rick's secret to Summer in an existential realization that life is meaningless:

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody is going to die...come watch TV."

Summer, who had discovered that she was an unwanted pregnancy, that her parents' dreams were accomplished in alternate realities where she was not born, decides to run away. However, Morty makes her realize that those alternate realities are meaningless, that life, in general, is meaningless, so why not just come watch TV and forget about it? This moment is also one of the few in which Morty and Summer really bond and open up to one another, which is why it stood out so much on the show.

3. The Introduction to Mr. Poopybutthole in "Total Rickall"

Oh, Mr. Poopbutthole, you poor unfortunate soul.

In Season 2 Episode 4, "Total Rickall," the Smith family house becomes infested with parasites that implant fake memories of themselves into everyone's minds in order to remain in the house. Rick discovers a way to tell the real people from the parasites: The parasites are only capable of implanting happy memories of themselves into the family's minds, so anyone that the family has an unhappy memory with must be real (which is a weird and mostly accurate life lesson to be learned). After going on a parasite killing spree, the family finally sits down at the dinner table to eat in peace -- though with one odd addition who we assume is the last parasite left: Mr. Poopybutthole (let's call him Mr. PB for short). Beth, who only has happy memories with Mr. PB, whips out a ray gun and shoots him, blasting him against the wall where he falls to the ground and begins to bleed out.

In a twist of events, it's revealed that Mr. PB is actually real and not a parasite, causing Beth to be overwhelmed with guilt. Mr. PB informs the family, via a nurse, that he doesn't want to see them and that he's "sorry they didn't have any bad memories of him." This scene surprisingly melted my heart and made me fall in love with the little Poopybutthole (a sentence I thought I'd never say). Many fans were ecstatic when Mr. PB made a surprise appearance in the Season 2 finale end credits, telling the fans that he was okay (while swallowing a massive amount of painkillers) and to tune in for Season 3...in like a year and a half. OOO-weee!

4. The Nod to Stephen King's "Needful Things" in "Something Ricked This Way Comes"

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, so when I found out that "Something Ricked This Way Comes" was inspired by King's "Needful Things," I went into full-on geek mode. The majority of this episode (outside of Jerry's "Pluto is a plant" plot) revolves around the Devil setting up shop in the Smith's town and selling cursed items to the townspeople, similar to the plot of "Needful Things." It was such an awesome nod to the book and in my opinion, it was executed perfectly. The laugh-off scene between Rick and the Devil was hilarious, and the montage at the end where Rick and Summer get jacked and beat up the Devil -- as well as a bunch of bullies in the end credits -- was so random and absurd that it catapulted the episode into my top favorites because to me, it represented all that Rick and Morty is about.

5. Evil Morty in "Close-Rick Counters of the Rick Kind"

There's so much to say about this episode that I don't even know where to begin. How about those Council Rick hairstyles, anyone?

Let's begin with the unveiled notion that Morty's are just human shields for Ricks and how this concept affects our C-137 Morty. After learning that Ricks use their Mortys as a way to cloak their brainwaves from enemies, our Morty becomes increasingly upset, believing that his Rick only keeps him around for this reason -- as a tool and nothing else. We have often seen our own Rick treat Morty this way as well. However, what is different about our C-137 Rick is that he attempts to train and teach Morty about science, life and purpose. Evil Rick states that if there's one known truth in the universe it's that "Ricks don't care about Mortys." But as the show progresses, we know this is not true. Rick tears up at seeing memories with Morty, and later on in the show, Rick even risks his life to save him (see #9). He also tells Morty that since he is the Rickest Rick of them all, that means Morty is the Mortiest Morty of them all, which is Rick's way of complimenting Morty and letting him know that he means more to Rick than just being a shield.

Now onto the topic of Evil Morty! Our C-137 Morty attempts to get Evil Morty to help him free all the captured Mortys (sorry, that's a mouthful). However, Evil Morty simply states that: "It would be pointless. Mortys have no chance at defeating a Rick." Though it's revealed at the end of the episode that Evil Rick was just a robot being controlled by Evil Morty! What a thrill, right?! This spawns the question of how Evil Morty was able to control Evil Rick and kill 27 other Ricks. Many theories have floated around, though my personal favorite is that Evil Morty used to be our Rick's first Morty, though Rick corrupted him and turned him into an uncaring Morty with a complete disregard for life. Rick often states that life is meaningless, and so maybe, Rick's nihilistic and existential outlook on life finally broke (Evil) Morty, creating a Morty capable of besting the best of the Ricks! Here's one of the theories on who Evil Morty really is.

Side note: Did it break anyone else's heart when Doofus Rick had to leave Jerry?

6. The "Goodbye Moonmen" Song in "Mortynight Run"

I find myself humming this song constantly because it's so dang catchy! "Mortynight Run" was another episode that perfectly balanced social commentary with the absurd, gross, and hilarious. If you listen closely to "Goodbye Moonmen," the lyrics foreshadow the ending of the episode and comment on "moon men," or mankind's, inability to establish peace among all. Fart's solution to the Moonmen's need for violence and lack of peace is to say "goodbye" and kill them all.

Though the lyrics are surprisingly meaningful, it's paired with a psychedelic montage where Morty and Fart float by the moon with little butt-like creatures waving (aka mooning them) and holding hands as they pass. Let's not forget to comment on the fact that the character's name is Fart and he wants to "rip" the moonmen a new one ... or to "blow them away" with the help of the rest of his fart race. Thanks for the fart jokes, Roiland and Harmon. They wore off on me.

7. Everything about "Get Shwifty"

Unlike "Goodbye Moonmen," the song "Get Schwifty" has no 'meaningful' significance within its lyrics but that doesn't mean it's any less amazing or perfect! The entire episode of "Get Schwifty" is ludicrous and comical, beginning with a giant alien head -- known as a "Cromulon" -- coming to earth, causing natural disasters and alien head cults to form, and demanding human kind to "Show me what you got." What follows is an American Idol-type competition between planets, orchestrated by the Cromulons who are trying to find the catchiest song in the galaxy.

And the best Earth has to offer is "Get Schwifty," created and performed by Rick and Morty, where the lyrics consist mainly of repeating "get schwifty" and "sh*t on the floor." This is another "Rick and Morty" instant classic: a subtle riff on popular music cloaked in absurd comedy. There's no better way to make fun of popular songs with terrible lyrics, am I right?

Side note: The episode also provides a unique (and hilarious) commentary on religions and cults. While Rick and Morty are dealing with the Cromulons, the rest of the Smith family join an alien head cult, where their beliefs are based on the misinterpretation of the Cromulons' actions, which they attempt to justify until finding out the real reason the Cromulons are there. Chew on that for awhile.

8. Morty's Latent Rage in "Look Who's Purging Now"

This episode was great for many reasons, one being that we see a side of Morty we never have before -- not counting Evil Morty, of course.

After being stranded on a planet that's in the middle of purging, Rick and Morty head to a lighthouse where Rick can assemble a receiver that will allow a package (sent by Summer) to arrive and aid them during the purge. However, Morty is forced by the lighthouse owner to listen to him read his movie script, and Morty's patience begins to run thin. By the end of the reading, Morty tells the lighthouse owner his honest opinion, which upsets the owner and causes him to ask Morty and Rick to leave. In a fit of rage, Morty pushes the lighthouse owner down the stairs, killing the owner and leaving Rick surprised that Morty had such violence in him.

Morty was so adamant about not partaking in the purge, though Rick told him that in order to survive the night, Morty would have to "harness his repressed rage." And he definitely does. After receiving their armor and getting attacked by purgers, Morty fully gives in to his deep seeded rage and begins to massacre the lot, going so far as to shoot people in hiding and shoot at already dead corpses. The lesson here is...maybe not to repress our anger, but let it out in healthy doses. Let's not turn into Morty.

9. Rick Saving Morty in "A Rickle In Time"

This was a HUGE moment of character development for Rick as it's the first time we really see Rick willing to sacrifice himself in order to protect Morty. When Rick, Morty, and Summer fracture time and create parallel universes separate from each other, Rick attempts to put the timeline back together, but only further splits it. A "Fourth Dimensional Being" that looks like a giant testicle (Roiland and Harmon, at it again with the gross humor) gives them time stabilizing collars, fixes the timeline, and then says they'll all be going to Time prison for messing with time. However, Rick tricks the testicle being and then tells Summer and Morty to take off their collars, splitting the timeline into about 64 different possibilities. They all work together to take out the testicle being and then attempt to fix time once more by putting their collars back on. However, one out of the 64 Mortys has a broken collar, making it impossible for him to return to real time. As time destabilizes, Morty falls into the black abyss and Rick dives down after him, saving Morty by giving him his own collar.

As he is about to die, Rick closes his eyes and states: "I'm okay with this. Be good, Morty. Be better than me." Oooo weee! That got me all kinds of emotional the first time I watched it! Of course, Rick ends up saving himself, but what matters is that in that moment, he was willing to put his grandson before himself. Something we have never seen Rick do before.

10. Everything About "Wedding Squanchers"

This was undoubtedly the most emotional episode of "Rick and Morty" so far. After Birdperson's wedding goes awry, leading to the (supposed) deaths of Birdperson and Squanchy, the Smith family flees and tries to find a new home to relocate to since Rick is now on the run from the Galactic Federation and can never return home to Earth. After visiting a planet with a sun that screams throughout the 42 hour day and a planet where everything is on a cob, the Smith family decides to settle on a miniature Earth-like planet with little resources and little to do.

Rick goes on a walk to the South Pole and ends up overhearing the family discussing their predicament -- Jerry, of course, arguing that they should turn Rick in so they can go home, and Beth arguing that she just got her father back and will never give him up. After hearing Beth, Summer, and Morty say they love him and will support him unconditionally, Rick feels guilty for causing his family so much pain and decides to turn himself in.

In a heartbreaking scene, with Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" playing depressingly in the background, Rick leaves the dwarf planet, the Smith family are rescued from the dwarf planet and return to Earth, and Rick is placed in a maximum-security prison. Rick, who had just lost his two best friends, who usually puts himself before anyone else, decided that his family was more important than his freedom and put them first. What is so heartbreaking about this episode is that his family assumes he abandoned them, that he is incapable of thinking of anyone other than himself. Let's just hope that the Smiths learn the truth early on next season and save Rick!

Side note: This episode was the first time Beth met the space travel side of Rick's life, meeting one of the most important and influential people in Rick's life: Birdperson. How sad is it that the first time she gets to see a side of her dad she's never known, everything goes terribly wrong and all his friends die? Though I have hope Birdperson and Squanchy are alive...

Well, that's the end! As they say in Canada, "Peace ooot." ("Rick and Morty" S1E10)