Fun Facts About Spongebob

Since the time I could walk, I have been a huge fan of "Spongebob Squarepants." It is an all-time favorite of mine. Until yesterday, I thought I knew everything about it. Turns out I was wrong! I came across this crazy fan theory! Brace yourselves, this shall be a fun ride.

1. The show was initially titled "SpongeBoy Ahoy!"

squidward with a mop

Our favorite SpongeBob was initially called SpongeBoy. The writers first preference for the title was "SpongeBoy Ahoy! Ahoy!" They wanted to keep "sponge" in the name to make sure the kids knew that it is a sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea (you'd be lying if you said you didn't hum that in your head) and not a block of cheese. But because SpongeBoy was already a copyrighted name for a mop, they had to change it to SpongeBob.

Honestly, I like SpongeBob more than SpongeBoy.

2. Bikini Bottom is a test site for nuclear weapons.

nuclear explosion

An underwater island, Bikini Bottom is actually a remote area located under the Bikini Atoll, Micronesia. Americans used it in real life as a test site for nuclear weapons in the '40s and '50s.

3. Patrick and Gary are cousins.

patrick and gary bonding

In the episode "Rule of Dumb," it is revealed that Gary and Patrick are first cousins! Turns out, Sluggo Star, Gary's father and Herd Star, Patrick's father, are brothers.

I wish I had a cousin like Patrick. What an experience each family event would be!

4. A mushroom is named after SpongeBob.

surprised scientist

Spongiforma squarepantsii is a species of fungus that was named after our favorite ocean buddy, SpongeBob SquarePants! Researchers at San Francisco State University coined the name, after noting several similarities. The spore-producing area of the fungus resembled a "carpeted in tube sponges."

5. The characters represent the Seven Deadly Sins.

mr krabs with money

This theory has been floating around for a while now. It claims that the characters of the tv series represent the Seven Deadly Sins mentioned in the Bible. SpongeBob is Lust, Patrick is Sloth, Plankton is Envy, Mr. Krabs is Greed, Gary is Gluttony, Sandy is Pride, and Squidward is Wrath. It totally makes sense! There is no substantial evidence of whether this is true or not, but fits so well!

7. SpongeBob and Sandy are married.

Spongebob and sandy's wedding

So, it has been implied multiple times that Sandy and SpongeBob have feelings for each other, but I'm shocked that they're actually married. Woah.

In an episode where they seem to be putting on a play in which their characters get married, it is shown that the minister was not aware that the marriage was fake!

I. Know. Right.

There is a reason why "SpongeBob SquarePants" is the longest running Nickelodeon series. It's the best cartoon out there, and these facts just confirm just that!