what to make at your barbecue on july 4th
food

Fourth Of July Recipes That Are Sure To Make Sparks Fly At Your Barbecue This Year

We have recipes that will bring back your childhood memories in a unique way and break the monotony of everyday food.

40
https://unsplash.com/photos/yQz5io8xf5U

4th of July is near, preparations must be at their peak, and you must be wondering what dishes you should make this year. Well, you can't make Independence Day a boring one, especially at the height of pleasant, summery weather.

Definitely, one can't get enough of the tasty aromatic dishes, which are only prepared for this special day: the barbecue delights, hot dogs, burgers, cool salads, pie, strawberry shortcake, fruit parfait — the list goes on.

God, so much to binge on... So, to help you out and decide what you should serve on 4th of July, we have recipes that will bring back your childhood memories in a unique way and break the monotony of everyday food.

1. American Flag Pie

If you are looking for something really special to make your 4th of July worthy of attention, you're reading the right recipe. What else is better than this show-stopper dessert to show the country's independence more beautifully? The summer flavors added to it are just perfect to celebrate the day. Let's see how we can make this American Flag Pie.

Ingredients you'll need

2 unbaked refrigerated pie crusts

3c. blueberries

5c. strawberries

1/2c. cornstarch, divided

1 lemon (zest and juice)

3/4c. sugar, divided and also one extra for sprinkling

Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon heavy cream)

How to make it

As usual start with the 'never to forget' step i.e. to preheat your oven to 400° F.

Make the base: To start with the making process, you first need to roll out the base of the pie dough into a large rectangular shape say 15×12 inches. Then you need to move the dough into a 12×9×1 inch baking sheet. Slowly and gently press the dough along the edges, no haste. Now, fold the edges under and press together. Keep it in the refrigerator and start preparing for other crust.

Make the stars and stripes: Take the second piece of pie dough and roll it out. Use a small star cookie cutter and cut out stars from about ¼ of the dough. Take a paring knife and use the remaining dough to cut out 1" thick stripes from it. And in case you don't have a paring knife, make use of your pastry wheel. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Make the fillings: Take a medium-sized bowl and add blueberries, ¼ c. cornstarch, and 1/4c. Sugar and the lemon zest and juice of half lemon. Start stirring to combine all the ingredients. Use a different bowl and add ¼ c. cornstarch and ½ c. sugar and lemon zest and juice of half lemon. Again start stirring to combine.

Make the pie: Use an aluminum foil and fold it into a thin strip say 1 ½" wide. Use the strip and fold it into a right angle of about 5×4". Take your base crust out from the refrigerator. Now, take the foil and place it into the upper left-hand corner of the crust and form a small rectangle. Fill the foil-lined rectangular portion with your blueberry filling. And fill the rest of the crust with the strawberry filling. Remove the foil.

Assemble and bake: Place your star cut-outs on the top of the blueberry mixture. And keep the stripes lengthwise across the strawberry filling. Maintain a gap of about 1-inch between every strip. Now it's the egg wash's turn, brush it on the pie crusts and sprinkle with sugar. Bake your dessert for about 50 minutes until golden and the mixture is bubbling. Let the dessert cool down for at least 1 hour before you serve.

2. Rocket Jello Shots

Do you remember your favorite childhood thing for the summers? Think a little more. We grew up having this and it was an important part of our school days. Yes, we are talking about those tasty popsicles. Why not give your childhood memory an adult twist? This 4th of July, try out this really amazing recipe called Rocket Jello Shots.

Ingredients you'll need

Red layer

½ c. water

½ c. vodka

1 box instant cherry Jell-O

Blue layer

½ c. boiled water

½ c. vodka

1 box instant blueberry Jell-O

White layer

1 envelope gelatin

½ c. vodka

1 c. milk, divided

½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract

3 tablespoon sugar

How to make it

Take a small bowl and add boiling water with berry jell-O mix. Stir both the ingredients until they are completely dissolved. Start stirring in vodka.

Use another bowl and continue the same process with the cherry jell-O mix. Let both the mixtures cool down and start making white layer.

For white layer, you need a medium-sized bowl, add ¼ cup of milk and sprinkle gelatin over it. Place a saucepan over medium heat and use the remaining ¾ cup milk to a simmer. Then turn off the heat and start stirring in vanilla, sugar and vodka.

Pour down this heated mixture over plain gelatin mixture and continue stirring until completely dissolved. Let it cool for about 10 minutes.

Take out at least 20 one-ounce plastic shot glasses and lightly spray them with cooking spray. Add around 2 teaspoons of berry mixture into each and refrigerate for about 15 minutes until set not completely solid.

Now use white gelatin mixture as the topping and top with 2 teaspoons of it. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes until set.Use cherry jell-o mixture and cover with 2 teaspoons of it. Keep it in the fridge for about 2 hours until firm.

3. Spiked Ombre Lemonade

It's the 4th of July and you ought to add some spark to your day's special menu. Forget those old boring lemon shots and enjoy three different flavors in a different way. This particular recipe is quite easy-to-follow to add some uniqueness to your 4th of July food.

Ingredients you'll need

2 c. chopped strawberries

2 c. frozen mango

3 c. lemonade, divided

6 oz. vodka, divided

3 c. ice

Lemon slices and strawberries for garnish

How to make it

Take mango, 1 cup ice, 2 oz. vodka and 1 cup lemonade and blend all the ingredients using a blender until smooth. Pour down the mixture into a container and let it freeze for 30 minutes. Now, clean the blender.

Now take some strawberries, 1 cup ice, 2 oz. vodka and 1 cup lemonade and blend all the ingredients in the same manner. Pour down the mixture in a different container and let it freeze until you're ready to serve. Again clean the blender.

Again fill the blender with the rest of ice, vodka and lemonade. Blend the ingredients until smooth. Pour down the mixture again in a different container and let it freeze until you're ready to serve.

Pour down all the mixtures one-by-one into serving glasses. Keep the order in this way: mango mix, strawberry lemonade mix and lemonade mix respectively.

Use lemon slices and strawberries to garnish your Spiked Ombre Lemonade.