To My Best Friends Going Abroad Next Semester

We will go from living across the hall to living across the pond.

11
Shannon Steffen

I didn't imagine myself ever going to Washington State University. Until my best friend applied during senior year of high school, I didn’t even know it existed. I knew nothing about the campus or the type of people that went there… I didn’t know if they had a football team or even where it was located in the state of Washington.

Now, I have been going to school here for almost four full semesters and couldn’t imagine myself anywhere else. This school has taught me so much about myself and what I want for my future. It has brought me to many organizations that I have invested most of my time out of the classroom into and has brought me to a chapter and sisterhood I wouldn’t trade for anything.

I can’t say I would’ve made the choice to transfer here if it wasn’t for my best friend and her persuasive texts, campus tours and welcoming friends. When I finally made the move and started school here in January of 2015, living next door to my best friend and her roommate (who I knew of from our hometown in California) carried a great sense of comfort. I knew at any minute of the day I could count on either of them for a laugh or a random midday adventure. They included me in their outings and ate every meal with me in the dining hall close by. I was, and still am, so thankful for the first semester of college I spent learning from their prior semester of knowledge and meeting all their sisters in Delta Gamma.

Fast forward about three months after we had wrapped up the end of our freshman years and I was going through formal recruitment.; Two girls that brought me to this school were on the other side of it. While they encouraged me to keep an open mind, it was hard to not want to run home to the girls that had supported me since the beginning of it all. Before I was even in their sorority, they encouraged me during both my ups and downs and were there for me for all my ideas and ambitions.

Running home to them on bid day felt so right that I never questioned my decision after it was made. This was the first time after a year of college that I finally felt like I was getting the experience I always wanted. Because of these two friends, I ended up at a school I love and in a chapter I adore. One of them has become my Greek "aunt" and they both live across the hall from me (a perfect yelling distance) in our sorority house. Knowing they are going to be leaving for their adventures abroad next semester is a bittersweet feeling.

In just a couple months we will go from living across the hall to living across the pond. When they spend their semester in a different country gaining new experiences, friends and travels, I will be without two of the main components that have made my life at WSU as perfect as it has been so far. So, while I can't wait to hear and stalk all the amazing times they are having, it will be different in Pullman without the girls that brought me here. I promise to keep everything running smoothly until you guys get back!