12 Things That Happen When Your BFF Studies Abroad

It's the best of times, it's the worst of times.

552
Adityaa Shukla

So when your best friend goes off to another country for a semester, your life consists of getting Snapchats of them in exotic locations while you're in your dorm room watching that episode of "New Girl" for the 5th time. They’re jetting off to new places and eating amazing food while you’re still sick from your last trip to the dining hall. But at the end of the day, you feel like you’re traveling with your best friend because of how much you hear about their trips and everything you see.

So with all that being said, here are a few of the inevitable things that will happen when your best friend is studying abroad.

1. FaceTimes last on average of two hours

Because there’s barely any time when you both are fortunate enough to have free time align — between classes, timezones and life’s craziness - you end up just going on and on for hours. You end up realizing just how much goes in within a week!

2. Tagging each other in memes becomes the constant source of contact.

Since both of you are busy and probably in different time zones, you just wake up to notifications to the other tagging you in memes. It’s an easy and relatable way to maintain the joking side of your friendship, and, let's be honest, it’s the cutest thing to know that someone thought of you when they saw something.

3. You know another time zone like the back of your hand.

That clock app on your phone has your best friend’s time zone and city ready on demand. I personally catch myself looking at it randomly just to guess what my best friend could be doing while I'm, for example, getting lunch or getting ready to go out.

4. Your notes section becomes a diary.

You want to save all the little details of every little thing that happens so you can properly give your best friend an update during a FaceTime session. I know that even when the smallest thing, like spotting your hallway crush in class, happens I immediately remind myself to tell my best friend the next time we FaceTime.

5. Spotify playlists become collaborative.

If you and your best friends are anything like mine and me, you guys have the same taste in music. In fact, both of you guys introduce the other to new music. Now that you guys can’t blast music in the car, you have to settle for working on playlists together.

6. You feel like you’ve gone to this new city with them.

You’re constantly hearing about stories and things that are happening in this new country, but because it's your best friend telling you all this, you feel like you’re there with them. You might as well be on study abroad with them

7. You feel like a part of your heart is missing.

Whenever anything slightly inconvenient ever happens, the first person you want to tell might be asleep since they’re halfway across the world. In those moments, you wish for nothing more than five minutes with the person who completes you.

8. You wake up to random messages full of love.

Refer back to number 7; due to those moments of missing your best friend, you guys send the sappiest and love-filled messages back and forth.

9. Your FaceTime sessions include random stories and both of you talking so much, at the same time.

I know that whenever my best friend and I get even five minutes of FaceTime, we’re both speaking as fast as we can, and talking over one another, sharing stories and laughing. It’s like you’re running on borrowed time but the call is the best part of your day.

10. You definitely have a countdown.

YOU CHECK IT ALMOST DAILY to see (down to the second) how much longer you need to wait for the greatest reunion ever.

11. Everyone asks you about your best friend.

Whenever someone wants to know how your best friend is doing, you get ambushed with texts asking, “OMG where is she?” or “does she love it?” But I mean…is that any different than when they’re around?

12. Your bond grows stronger.

Since you don’t get to talk to one another every day, and texting becomes sporadic and rarely ever at the same time, you both know the other is a major priority because whenever your free times align, you guys choose to spend it with one another even though you may be oceans apart.

In short, being away from your best friend really sucks but knowing that they're having the best time of their life really helps. Just keep looking forward to that really epic reunion. I know that once my best friend comes back, we're immediately going on a target raid, jamming out to our Spotify playlist in the car, and eating Ben and Jerry's at 3 a.m.