10 BEST Places to Eat and Drink In The Kansas City Area

If you don't go to Jack Stack BBQ while in Kansas City, that's a crime.

22
Anna Kropov

Not only is Kansas City a super cool tourist city, it also has some delicious cuisine to offer. Check out the list below for my personal 10 favorite places to dine!

1. Jack Stack BBQ

Jack Stack

Kansas City has the BEST barbecue, and it is famous for Jack Stack. They also make delicious cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, so be sure to stop by and grab yourself a steak while in town!

2. ​The Oread​

The Oread

Located in Lawrence, Oread Hotel has the most delicious burgers and a super nice restaurant called The Bird DOg to sit down and enjoy them at. You haven't had a burger until you've eaten here.

3. The Burger Stand at the Casbah

The Casbah

Also located in Lawrence, Casbah is a close second to Oread for their burgers. My personal favorite feature is their alcoholic milkshakes. I had a double shot of Irish Cream with a chocolate milkshake over the summer, and let me say, that SLAPS. It gives it some extra flavor without being too strong either. I highly recommend it, especially for its convenient location on Mass Street!

4. HiTea

HiTea

If you're in the mood for some boba tea, head to HiTea in Lawrence near the University of Kansas for a delicious selection to choose from! My best friend studied abroad in China and can confirm that their boba tea is the same as it is in China, so essentially, it's authentic. My favorite is their mango blend, hers is their matcha. I recommend the fruity flavors if you're not a big tea person.

5. Han Shin

Han Shin

Looking for an entertaining dinner? Head to Han Shin for some delicious hibachi in Overland Park, about 45 minutes away from downtown KC. They cook your food right in front of you and put on a show by lighting up the ring of fire to get things heated! (Quite literally) When I was there, the chef even tossed a piece of shrimp into everyone's mouth until we each caught at least one. This was my first time eating Japanese food, and let me say, it SLAPPED. I was impressed! 10/10 experience I recommend everyone to try.

6. Nguyen Pho & Grill

Nguyen Pho & Grill

Located in downtown Kansas City next to the City Market, this place offers a wide variety of Vietnamese dishes that range from quite standard (rice, egg rolls, shrimp, and noodles) to some spicy exotic food. There is a plate for everyone based on your personal tastes. I got the basic noodles, veggies, egg rolls, etc. when I was there since it was my first time trying Vietnamese, and I was very pleased! You can head right out to the city market after you leave to do some more exploring; the location is perfect!

7. Potbelly's Sandwich Shop

Potbelly

Located at the Country Club Plaza right outside of downtown KC, Potbelly's is a great place to grab a quick lunch, grab a delicious variety of subs, hang out with friends and explore more of the Plaza! My personal favorite is their BLTA. Be sure to take a walk around the area and do some exploring, there's a lot of unique places surrounding it!

8. Q39 Barbecue

Q39

Q39 is a close rival of Jack Stack's for the best BBQ in Kansas City. They also have a unique and delicious selection of wood-fired meats. If you're a big BBQ fan but want to explore the area, Q39 is definitely your next stop after Jack Stack. I loved it and I'm not even that big of a meat-eater!

9. The Mixx

The Mixx

Located in Overland Park, The Mixx is a nice, upscale, modern restaurant with delicious subs and pasta. It's got an aesthetically pleasing interior and the food will be sure to fill you up and satisfy you! Will definitely return here for my next trip to Kansas City.

10. The Brass Onion

Brass Onion

Also located in Overland Park, Brass Onion is a very boujee place for good and drinks. I really enjoyed their vodka mixed drinks! If you're looking for a sit-down bar to relax and have a couple of drinks with friends outside of downtown, this is the place to go. You can also hop one door down to go bowling at PinStripes before or after. Lots to do in this area

Kansas CIty is a staple of the midwest, full of rich history, culture and a vibrant atmosphere. It also has some bomb places to eat with cuisine from all over the world, many of which I have yet to try. Hope this list helps some of you foodies explore your tastes!!