Best College Basketball At Christmas Break

Including the top-five players

31
AP Photo

So I haven’t been able to actually look at college basketball this season, because this semester has been extremely busy. But that doesn’t mean I have been totally absent from watching the games. There have been some really impressive players all across the country, but to me there are five players who I consider the five best players in college basketball. These guys not only can score but they are able to impact the game on the defensive end.

5. Miles Bridges, Michigan State Spartans Forward

We have kind of forgotten about him because of his injuries, but this superstar freshman was the best freshman in college basketball before his injury. Yes he was better than Lorenzo Ball and Malik Monk both who make this list. He was averaging 16.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks a game. When he comes back I expect him to be able to dominate the game. His size and speed will lead to him dominating basketball for years and years to come.

4. Grayson Allen, Duke Blue Devils Guard

Nearly two years ago Grayson Allen along with his fellow freshman Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones won the national championship against Wisconsin. Allen had his coming out party, with 16 points. Since then, he has been one of the premier faces of college basketball. This season he’s averaging 17.7 points a game, and still is the Duke leader and star among Jayson Tatum, Frank Jackson, and others. If you haven’t seen his monster dunk against UNLV you should, it’s amazing with a capital A (Dickie V voice).

3. Malik Monk, Kentucky Wildcats Guard

As an Arkansan, I would’ve loved for this guy to go to Arkansas. However, if you want to win a national championship you got better chances at Kentucky than Arkansas. Malik Monk will be a star in the NBA. Right now I am watching his team play against North Carolina. This guy had 27 points in the first half, (ended up with 47 points and the go-ahead three-pointer in a 103-100 win). His shooting ability is off the charts and his passing and defense are NBA ready right now. He is the most complete freshman guard basketball has seen in a long time. As a freshman, he’s averaging 19.4 points a game, just ridiculous!

2. Lonzo Ball, UCLA Bruins Guard

I debated between Malik Monk and Mr. Ball, but because his team beat Kentucky in Kentucky so he’s ahead. I had heard about this man and all the hype and I didn’t believe it. But what he did against Kentucky, and that wasn’t even his best game showed me he is the second best college basketball player. He’s averaging 14.8 points, 8.6 assists, and 5.6 rebounds. They’ve describes his game as Jason Kidd with Steph Curry range. He’s also been called Steph Curry with a 40 inch vertical. Lonzo Ball is in a class of his own. He dominates the game. He will star in the NBA.

1. Josh Hart, Villanova Guard

Many people don’t know about Josh Hart and that’s okay. He only was the best player on the defending national champion Villanova. The only reason why he doesn’t get national love is because he’s a senior, and Villanova isn’t a sexy team. Hart is the best player in college basketball because he not only leads with his play, but his experience. He averages 20.1 points and 6.5 rebounds. He’s an NBA guard, maybe not an All-star but will help your team win. He scored 37 points when his team was down against Notre Dame in New Jersey. But its not the outburst that made him the best player, its his steady quiet confidence and leadership that makes him better than everybody else.

*Apologies to Josh Jackson of Kansas, Bam Adebayo and De’Aaron Fox of Kentucky, Justin Jackson of North Carolina, among others.

** All stats coming from ESPN Stats and Information