13 Of The Best Body-Positivity Books

13 Body-Positive Books Every Girl Needs On Her Bookshelf

Read up, ladies.

1058

The body-positivity movement is not a new concept. Especially among the female population, body-positivity is discussed in length, conferences are held, and memes are created. We hear about it on a daily basis and everyone has an opinion on everything — because it directly affects our lives!

Within this movement, there are women we look to as leaders. There are women who stick their necks out and make statements, share stories, and ask questions that many of us wish we would've said years ago. Thankfully, these women kept going, writing books that we can keep on our bookshelves and open whenever we need a gal pal to chat with.

1. "Beautiful You," by Rosie Molinary

Amazon

Rosie Molinary understands that body image struggles don't just happen once. It's an every day journey that needs to be taken step by step. That's why "Beautiful You" provides a 365-day action plan, helping you take your first step and every step after.

2. "Big Girl: How I Gave Up Dieting And Got a Life," by Kelsey Miller

Amazon

Kelsey Miller shares her story of crash diets, eating plans, detox tricks, and all the other "lose weight fast" schemes that young women find themselves roped into. Her story is funny, inspiring, and has the resolution we all need, no matter what size our jeans are.

3. "Food, Health, And Happiness," by Oprah Winfrey

Amazon

Believe it or not, Oprah Winfrey has a complicated relationship with food. Like many women, food meant weight, and weight meant sadness or happiness. In her collection of recipes and personal essays, "Food, Health, and Happiness," she shares meals that have brought her joy and obstacles she has overcome.

4. "The Gifts of Imperfection," by Brene Brown

Amazon

This best-selling recognizes the value of wholeheartedly living instead of hiding behind insecurities. It's motivational, inspiring, and helpful in all things self-love.

5. "Shrill," by Lindy West

Amazon

"Shrill" isn't just a memoir from a woman who learned body-positivity the hard way. It's a funny, uplifting cry for equality in all things, from feminism to body types. It's a call for us to do better and live louder.

6. "Dumplin'," by Julie Murphy

Amazon

Yes, like the Netflix movie. Julie Murphy's "Dumplin'" is what you need to encourage bold endeavors and a deep appreciation for the body you've been given. It's a feel-good read that you'll come back to time and time again.

7. "Landwhale," by Jes Baker

Amazon

We love a revolutionary queen! Jes Baker jumped into the body-positivity scene when she created ads that mocked Abercrombie & Fitch's inability to display a variety of body types in their marketing tactics. "Landwhale" gives us an inside look Jes' life and the experiences that made her the powerful, inspiring woman she is today.

8. "The F*ck It Diet," by Caroline Dooner

Amazon

"The F*ck It Diet" was born when Caroline Dooner decided to stop it with the fads and start living her life. She is adamant that diets are harmful, unsustainable, and just the worst. She offers a simple, healing path from whatever diet or detox you're wrapped up in to a life that is full and void of cultural lies.

9. "The Body Is Not an Apology," by Sonya Renee Taylor

Amazon

Activist and poet Sonya Renee Taylor is a fan of radical self-love. In "The Body Is Not an Apology," she invites the reader to celebrate who they are, what they've overcome, and what they're going to do next — all in the very capable body they're living in.

10. "It Was Me All Along," by Andie Mitchell

Amazon

Andie Mitchell's story of weight loss is dramatic. It's a balancing act of food and body, soul and mind. Ultimately, it's a story that reminds you to love every part of yourself and every phase you have to enter to get to the next.

11. "The Corset Diaries," by Katie MacAlister

Amazon

Every woman in her right mind agrees that corsets went out of style for a reason — ouch! Katie MacAlister's "Corset Diaries" is witty, sexy, and a packed with body love confidence that we all need.

12. "Why Not Me?" by Mindy Kaling

Amazon

Mindy Kaling, everyone's favorite sit-com goddess, shares stories of love and loss, friendship, and her journey of self-love in an industry where very few people looked like her.

13. "Just Eat It," by Laura Thomas

Amazon

In "Just Eat It," Laura Thomas challenges us to truly "go with our gut" in regard to what we eat. She asks that you trust yourself, love yourself, and care for yourself — a daunting task, but a possible one.

As an Amazon partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.