The Best Of Bernie: 5 Unforgettable Moments From His Campaign
Politics

The Bern refused to simmer down without a fight.

11
Salon

To say that the 2016 election year has been historic would be an understatement. Earlier this year, Americans witnessed the beginnings of three campaigns that were each groundbreaking in their own right. Donald Trump, while his announcement to run for office was not his first, his 2016 campaign proved that he would actually stick to his word. Much to the dismay and horror of many Americans as well as people following the election from abroad, Trump eventually secured the Republican nomination. Meanwhile, on the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton intended to be the country’s first female president. Contrary to what may be popular belief, however, Clinton is in fact not the first American woman to ever run for president. But if she wins in November, she will certainly be the first woman president in US history.

Meanwhile in the midst of the massive Trump and Clinton trajectories was the Bernie Sanders campaign. While Sanders ran as a Democrat, he actually identifies as an Independent, and has set a record for acting as the longest serving Independent senator in Congressional history. While Bernie may have switched parties for his presidential campaign, he definitely continued his habit of avoiding the status quo in favor of sticking to his unshakeable core values of “social, economic, racial and environmental justice.” While Bernie’s race has come to an end with his endorsement of Hillary Clinton on Tuesday, his determined journey to the White House forged a distinct path that his supporters and the rest of America will not soon forget. Here are five of the most standout moments from his campaign.

1. The threat he posed to Hillary Clinton.

While the announcement of his campaign for president may not have initially placed Clinton and her team into a panic, their wariness of Bernie increased as he began to draw record numbers of crowds and campaign donations that all came from small donors rather than super PACs. Bernie’s rise eventually led Clinton to shift to the left on certain issues, and even President Obama appeared to adopt his stance on economic justice when he delivered his 2016 State of the Union Address. The manner in which Bernie’s positions on issues influenced two of the biggest politicians in the country proves that his presence demanded attention, despite the minimal press coverage he received throughout the election.

2. He inspired young people to engage in politics.

While older than both Trump and Clinton at 74 years of age, Bernie mobilized American millennials to pay attention to the election and vote in their local primaries. College campuses across the country thrived with the energy that came with feeling the Bern. While he was in the race, Bernie earned more votes from young people than Trump and Clinton combined. Millennials were drawn to Bernie for various reasons, but one of the primary motivations for their support was Bernie’s tuition-free plan for public colleges and universities. Yet Bernie did not exclusively engage with college campuses that supported his platform. He chose to speak at Liberty University, one of the most conservative campuses in America, not to force students to change, but rather to engage them in political discourse.

3. His overwhelming support from labor unions.

In his refusal to take money from corporations or super PACs, Bernie strayed from the traditional presidential nominee path. Instead, a majority of Bernie’s campaign financing came from labor unions across the country. These donations demonstrate the trust unions placed in Bernie and his anti-corporate platform, which never failed to discuss the jarring income inequality and sore lack of jobs that affect American workers. His victories in states with large working-class populations, such as West Virginia, Michigan, and Nebraska cemented the fact that those at lower income levels tended to vote for Bernie.

4. He was not present at America’s largest pro-Israel conference.

Presidential candidates have rarely not vocalized support for Israel, since America is the Jewish state’s most prominent ally. While Bernie has affirmed Israel’s right to exist, he also argued for justice in Palestine, an act that the American political scene has not often witnessed. When Bernie announced that he could not attend the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) Policy Conference due to campaign stops, many of his supporters hypothesized that it was perhaps due to a petition—with thousands of signatures—that urged him not to go. Bernie offered to be on video call during the conference, but AIPAC organizers rejected his request, yet allowed candidates Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich to speak via video in 2012. Bernie ended up delivering his AIPAC remarks in Utah, in which he declared Israel’s right to exist, but also called out the state on its 2014 Gaza attacks that killed over 1,500 Palestinians.

5. A bird landed on his podium.

This moment stands out not for statistical or policy-driven reasons, but simply because it was so extraordinary. During a speech in Portland, Oregon, a bird—which appeared totally at ease in the midst of 11,500 screaming audience members—landed on Bernie’s podium and remained there for several moments as the crowd continued to cheer. Bernie’s bird-whisperer encounter produced an array of endearing and motivational “Birdie Sanders” memes, posters, and artwork.

From labor unions, to millennials, and even to birds, Bernie proceeded to stun the nation with his campaign. Although he may not be the Democratic nominee, his Clinton endorsement solidifies his commitment to keep Trump far from the White House. Also, Bernie has promised that he, as well as his revolution, are not going anywhere.