Benefits Of Being Involved On Campus

Benefits Of Being Involved On Campus

My experiences have really helped me.

45
Benefits Of Being Involved On Campus
Photo by: Jordyn Leach

Back to school is here and syllabus week has come to an end! Now that a new school year has officially started for us and we have a new class of freshmen under our wing. It's time to get y'all involved in what is going on around campus. Whether you start small or large is completely up to you, but being involved can open you up to many new experiences and possibilities. Not to mention that you make great friends along the way.

While you are on campus, why not get involved in the many things that college life has to offer? Each campus, especially our very own orange paradise, has many clubs and organizations to be a part of that will assure you a great college experience. From the foreign exchange/study abroad students and their various clubs, the musically inclined with the choir, theater department, and Cowboy Marching Band, those who choose lifelong sister and brotherhood with the Chapter of their choice in Greek Life, the avid sports fans that make up The Rowdy and the Paddle People, the Student Union Activities Board, and so many more.

If you don't really know where you fall into place when it comes to different clubs and activities, it is completely fine to test the waters. Take it from me, I have been involved in three organizations each year that I have attended at Oklahoma State. Along the way, I have been in the Cowboy Marching Band, one of the many supporting Cowboys at any game you can think of, and now I have moved on to one of the biggest organizations for student spirit: The Paddle People/The Rowdy. When I say it's fine to test the waters, I mean it 100% with how much I've jumped around already.

During high school, I participated in the marching band or color guard all four years. Before graduation, I found audition days for the OSU-CMB, tried out, and made it. During my first year at OSU, my college band "career" claimed only one semester of my life. In that time period, we performed, traveled, made friends and great memories. In a lot of ways, I feel that anything involving the Arts and Greek Life have a lot in common when it comes to making bonds that can last a lifetime; especially when the band has two Greek Chapters of their own.

My second year, I was one of the many proud fans in the student section that supported our boys through every play. I admit, being in the student section at games doesn't really warrant a title when it comes to actual involvement, but it was still fun nonetheless. Still, I wanted to participate in something bigger. It was fun, but I wanted to find where I belonged. Luckily, I was able to figure this out at the end of the 2017 football season. Thankfully, most of the Paddle People had already gone home for Thanksgiving Break. Luckily, the friends I have in the Paddle People hadn't left campus yet, and had invited myself and a friend of mine to paddle on the wall at the game. The second I held that paddle, I knew that this was where I belonged and I'd do anything to be a part of it. (Luckily, and also to my surprise, you don't have to do much.)

Now I am in the third year and I am now in the organization that I was meant to be in. Being the sports fan that I am, especially football, my attention during games will never be divided. (Which I'm sure you can imagine is a good thing.) I always thought it would be cool to be a Paddle Person, but ever since I got a taste of it that one day, I was 100% sold. I am proud to be a part of something so huge and active at my university. I haven't even been involved that long and I already feel at home. All the veterans are very welcoming and supportive of the rookies, and it overall has a great environment.

Once you find where you belong on campus, I guarantee you will feel the same way. Your home away from home will help you come out of your shell and make new friends that you will keep for, hopefully, the rest of your life. So for those of you who have been on campus for a few years but haven't found where you belong yet, you still have time, so get out there and find it! For those of you who are freshman, you've only just begun. I am excited for what's in store for you and what you will come to experience. Being involved is easy! You just have to turn off your video games, pause Netflix, and get out into the world!

So good luck to all college students! And to our Cowboys, Go Pokes!