I Believe In US

I Believe In US

Now is not the time to give up.

6
I Believe In US
netdna.com

My heart has been very heavy this week. I’ve looked around my beloved campus and seen nothing but sallow, emotionless expressions. A nightmare has been confirmed as reality.

As a white female, I myself am not at risk of being attacked by Trump other than by his blatant disrespect for women. I can deal with this, for it is something I face each day. But for so many, the consequences run deeper. Perhaps it is foolish to say that I didn’t vote for myself. But my Muslim classmates are considering fleeing the country, and I see a new fear on the faces of my black friends. I voted for the minorities, for those whose voices are often lost in a sea of selfishness perpetrated by our white privilege. Now all I can do is pray for the families who no longer feel safe leaving their homes, for those being told to remove their hijabs for their own safety, for the LGBTQ community who feel unable to express their love. My worry is that we have been set back, that the progress we have worked so hard for will quickly deteriorate. I urge you to think of others. I know it can be difficult to look past our own lives and surroundings and step into the real world. Having grown up in a small, white town, I found myself obvlious to several important issues for far too long. I still will never truly know the pain minorities go through, but I strive to make this country more welcoming for them each day. We mustn't become immune to what is really going on in the world. I beg you to place yourselves in these people's’ shoes and think about how you would feel if this man was elected to lead you. I wish for everyone to feel empathy now more than ever.

On November 9th, I watched three girls gathered around a laptop, tearfully watching Hillary’s commencement speech in a study lounge, and I couldn’t help but cry myself. I watched their eyes gleaming with awe and inspiration, their faces damp with tears, and I mourned at the fact that we as women will not have a role model, we will not have someone to look up to for four years.

I respect other’s opinions, I welcome them. I don't believe that this is a time to belittle others. I understand that we have different beliefs, and it saddens me that so many cannot accept that. Our opinions can divide us, but they also have the ability to unite us. The sooner we begin to listen rather than judge, the sooner we will be at peace.

I refuse to focus this article on my sadness or my negativIty. The past five days have been filled with power. There seems to be a fire ignited in our nation. I see people fighting each and every day for their beliefs to ensure that their freedom of expression remains., embracing their differences, and everything else that makes them feel beautiful. This strength has inspired me. I have so much hope for our generation, for this incredible group of people who are unapologetically themselves. I can only hope that we remain this way. To all my fellow women, “never doubt that you are valuable and powerful.” There are often men leading us, but it is our decision whether or not to follow. “May the election of Trump bring forth the fiercest, smartest, toughest, generation of ass-kicking women this country could possibly imagine.”

As a nation, this is not the time to divide. We must come together now more than ever. I see darkness everywhere, but I am also showered with so much light. I find hope and solace in watching those around me lift each other up, from simple things like sunshine or crimson leaves. I saw unexplainable beauty in the super moon walking home Sunday night, and my eyes filled with tears because no matter how upset the world is, the moon and the sun never leave us. They shine down on our broken, sad little world each and every day and night, keeping us from total darkness. These observations may sound trivial and unimportant right now, but maybe it’s times like these when we’re supposed to remember the little things.

Love will always, always Trump hate. I know it is difficult to believe these words right now, to find positivity among all the terrible chaos, but I believe in the promise of a successful future dictated by the power of the people, not the people in power.