11 General Beliefs About Feminists That Aren't Quite Accurate
Politics

Equal rights are something that shouldn’t have to be earned. As human beings, we are all made equal.

1233
WIkimedia

I know in today’s world anytime someone says they believe one way there is someone else willing to argue against, and as I have found they don't always disagree.

Some people just want to argue for the sake of argument. Often people are unwilling to listen to someone else’s view, and block out what they do not wish to hear. As I am still young I do my best to stay out of matters I don’t fully understand until I have more information.

However, as a feminist I feel the need to share some issues I have either when I say I am feminist or when discussing my view of something.

1. All feminists are radical.

This is one of the most important things to understand. Not all feminists are radical. It can be frustrating to say you are feminist and have people look at you like an abomination because all they can think about are what they see on TV with women walking around dressed as vaginas. T

here is also this common definition of a feminist as someone who believes women are superior.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines feminism as “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” There is not one place in that definition that says feminists are extreme and want to take over the world.

Now that isn’t to say some feminists aren’t extreme and don’t want to take over the world, but it’s not exactly fair to say that’s the goal of all feminists.

2. Feminists hate men.

I love this one. Why do people believe that because I am for women, it means I am against men? Sorry but that’s not how this works. Okay, I’m sure for some people that could stand true, but not for all. Feminists are for equality of the sexes, not women for everything and men for the junkyard.

I personally love the men in my life, and I have nothing against the men I don’t know. Now, of course, there are bad men in the world, but there are also bad women in the world

3. Feminists don't care how others see them.

There are some feminists who don’t shave and others who don’t dress up, but that is their choice. That is what all of this is about, a woman’s choice to be how she wants and not be chastised for it.

I for one dress for myself, I take care of myself however I want, and I do things for myself.

This is my choice. If I am wearing a dress it is not for other people; it is because it makes me feel good. I don’t care how others see me physically so long as that isn’t the only thing they see in me.

4. Feminists do everything for themselves.

As a feminist I do enjoy opening my own doors, paying for my meal, and I will fight to do those things sometimes. That isn’t to say I don’t also enjoy having doors opened for me. I also hold doors open for other people, even men.

This one is especially fun because they don’t like having a woman open their door, but what can I say.

Something else to consider is if I am struggling with something I would prefer to ask for help rather than someone help me because they think I can’t do it. Let me try first. Honestly, women just don’t like being told they can’t do something, much like men. Starting to see how this works?

5. The feminists' agenda is only for women.

This goes back to the definition of feminism. Equality of the sexes. Let’s take down the ads with half naked women. Well, we should probably take down the ads with half-naked men in them as well.

Granted there aren’t quite as many of those. As a feminist, if I believe something is not right for one sex then I don’t think it’s right for the other. If a man gets paid a certain amount then I believe a woman in the same position should get pain the same amount, and vise versa.

6. Feminists over exaggerate the lack of female rights.

Here it is. One of the worst arguments. Truth be told, everyone exaggerates. Now to find real information there are sources that will give it accurately, but there are fakes too. Do women have rights?

Yes, they do.

Do women have equal rights? Yes, they kind of do. There are equal rights in some situations and not others. It isn’t right to say women have equal rights when it isn’t generally accepted for a woman to do the same thing as a man. That is not equal rights.

7. Feminists bring too much attention to their cause.

To be truthful there are so many things in this world that are not fair.

There is abundant of issues to fix, but we have to start somewhere. There is honestly a large issue with inequality. Not just in the U.S., but around the world. We have a nice set up in the U.S. Granted it’s not perfect, but it’s better than it could be.

If I have the ability to discuss my issues with equality then should I not be allowed to voice that? I can’t even begin to imagine what it’s like to not be able to speak for myself or about my beliefs.

There are places like that in the world and if there is even the smallest chance to change something or bring more awareness to it, then that’s what we should do. I will be a feminist for those who don’t have the freedom to be one.

8. Feminists don't like hearing they have rights.

Actually, I love hearing I have rights. I do have rights, a lot of them in fact. The key phrase though is they aren’t equal rights. That is the goal. I know I have rights. I have rights to moon and back, but not all women do, and not all are equal. For example a female preacher.

This is often not heard of where I grew up. Why can’t a woman be a preacher? Go ahead and tell me what the bible says. That’s fine, but it also says a lot of things we don’t pay attention to because they are outdated, it was in reference to a specific group of people, or simply we don’t want to hear it.

A woman does not have the equal right as a man to be a preacher. Some places she might, but others not so much.

9. All feminists are women.

This one is good, but oh so very wrong. A man can be feminist. I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. The only requirement is that a person has to support equality of the sexes. Simple as that. Now that you have this new information, are you a feminist?

10. Feminists are the result of strong female guidance.

My mom was a huge factor in me being feminist. Now we don’t always share the same beliefs, but she did teach me at a young age what a strong woman looked like. My grandmothers also were factors in this.

They taught me to be outspoken, and that I didn’t need a man to make me successful. Although they also showed me those supportive men, aka my grandfathers, are a good thing to have. My stepmom showed me that I can bark back if it’s necessary, and not to shy away.

My dad taught me that I by no means have to do anything a man tells me to. I and my dad don’t always agree, but that’s okay. I don’t have to agree with everyone. My stepdad showed me that men can believe in strong women, and help them when they need it. See, not just strong women make a feminist.

11. All feminists have the same views and beliefs...

But they don't. Not all feminists have the same belief? That’s crazy! ...It’s not though. Any other group of people can have whatever shared and different beliefs they want and it’s understood.

I have had it happen where I was debating one topic and my opponent turned around and told me because of my belief on that topic, I had a specific belief on a different topic.

To be clear my opponent was wrong. Just because I have one belief does not mean I have another. I can believe the sun isn’t real, but believe the moon is. That is my choice and my right.

I wholeheartedly believe we have the right to, as our constitution puts it, the pursuit of happiness. Let me say that again. The PURSUIT of happiness. Transferring this to feminism means that women should have equal opportunity.

I am by no means saying a woman should receive something she does not deserve because she is a woman and it is needed to give the appearance of equality. I am saying a woman should receive the same things a man, as her equal, would receive.

Equal rights are something that shouldn’t have to be earned.

As human beings, we are all made equal.