How To Grow After Being The Victim Of Bullying

Learning to love who you are, both inside and out.

115
supportseekers.info

Bullying is that one thing that people just don’t talk about. It’s kept behind closed doors because no one wants to own up to being the victim, or worse, the actual bully. I was bullied most of my life and it was horrible. The things people said and continue to say stick to me like glue.

In 2010 64 percent of children who were bullied did not report, meaning that only 36 percent did. We ask ourselves, why? Why were these children so scared to admit to being bullied? I can say that I was part of that 64 percent that was scared and weak. When someone is bullied they feel like they are lesser than everyone else. They are scared of being called a “snitch.” My question to the world is, when did it become a bad thing to want to stop bullying?

Fifty-seven percent of bullying stops when a peer gets involved. Yet 69 percent of young people have witnessed bullying and never stopped it. If peers get involved, people will no longer have to suffer from the many negative results of bullying. Twenty-nine percent of young people self-harm, 27 percent skip classes, 14 percent develop an eating disorder and 12 percent run away from home as a result of bullying. Most people are bullied because of their appearance.

I still remember being called four eyes by the boys in fifth grade. The next year I got contacts because I thought it would help. I got made fun of for my nose, teased because it was apparently too big. I was a tomboy, so I didn’t dress very girly and girls would call me a drag queen and say that no boy would ever like me. I realized that when I altered my appearance I started to attract guys and people stopped judging me. I became a girl who always had a boyfriend. From eighth grade on, it was very rare that I did not have a significant other, even if it wasn’t a boyfriend. Because of the bullying, I became someone who needed to be loved and feel accepted to be happy with myself. The feeling that bullies leave a person with doesn’t diminish with age. It’s always something that will remain in the back of my mind. Appearance is something that has become very important to me. Very rarely will you see me leave my room without makeup or a well put together outfit.

Even though I still remember everything, happiness is attainable, believe me. The growth that you experience as a victim of bullying is something that people wish for. For those who have been bullied, stop and look at yourself. Regardless of what the bully tells you, ignore them. I forgive the people who hurt me and constantly hurt me to this day. I know it may sound crazy and it may hurt but please…love yourself. It took me awhile to really love the person I am, inside and out. But love everything about yourself from the hair on your head to the big nose you inherited. You are beautiful and you are born to do amazing things. Some of the strongest and most inspirational people to ever walk this earth were bullied.

Remember to forgive, remember to forget, and remember that you are the winner in the end.