Being An Underclassman When All Your Friends Are Graduating

Being An Underclassman When All Of Your Friends Are Graduating

It's a bittersweet time.

110

I really screwed myself over when I decided in high school that I was going to make friends with the Upperclassmen. It is really great at the beginning of the year, especially as a freshman, when they're giving you advice on classes and introducing you to their friends and expanding your circle. The same goes for college, and we all know there are perks to having older friends than just advice.

The mood always changes around the beginning of the second semester, however, when those friends begin to prepare for graduation. High school may be different, and they may graduate and go off to college, but still live in that same town when they're on breaks. But with college, those graduates are starting their lives, either going off to grad school at a different school or starting their professional careers elsewhere.

You're happy for them, of course, but there's a tiny selfish part of you that wishes they would stay.

Amongst the upcoming graduating class, I have a few really amazing friends I've made since starting school here. One of them happens to be my best friend. We met at the beginning of my freshman year, and I was lucky enough to get to spend two years with her, and one of those years living in the same apartment. She is graduating a year early and going off to get her Master's Degree in another state. I'm extremely proud of her, but I would be lying if I said I didn't wish she would somehow fail and have to stay another year, or if she could just find a job closer to here so that she could stay. I know that we will remain friends after she graduates, and hopefully for even longer, but I can't even talk about it without getting upset.

It is a vicious cycle that never ends. I know that when I graduate, I will be leaving behind friends younger than me, and they will leave behind friends when they graduate, and so on and so on.

Don't take for granted the amazing friends you have who may be close to graduating. You don't want to be spending your last month with them trying to cram in all of the things you didn't get to do.