The Trick To Being The Happiest Version Of Yourself

Forget about fancy things and what other people think. Just focus on being you.

17
Unsplash

I often look around me, observing the birds chirping, the squirrels jumping from tree to tree, the dogs wagging their tails while lying in the sun, and I can't help but wonder what these animals do every day. Aren't they bored? They don't have the newest iPhone, a lovely Free People dress, the sleekest Kate Spade bag, the sportiest car that just came over from across the ocean -- they don't know these things and never will. Could that be why the birds and the squirrels and the dogs look happier than I can ever imagine being?

They don't have the desire for the picture-perfect life. They don't care about how many likes they get on an Instagram, how their career turns out, who is waiting for them at home. And they definitely don't care as much about what others think of them. Are these the reasons we are so unhappy? Because we're trying to live a picture perfect life for everyone else rather than just ourselves?

For a while, I wanted to be the girl who had everything people desired. I wanted the nicest car, my dream being a Range Rover, but I would settle for a BMW or Mercedes. I wanted to have the newest designer clothes, the best-looking friends, the most adorable pets, the perfect relationship -- I wanted to look perfect on the outside for others to see, especially those who had left my life.

In doing this, however, I realized that I lost a love for the things that I desired most in life. I no longer went outside to just enjoy the beauty that nature gives us; instead, I would focus on how many comments I got on a picture or try to figure out what to put on my Snapchat Story next. I would be focused on figuring out a punny caption rather than watching my dog run around in her favorite season, her tail wagging, her tongue as far out as it could go, trying to catch all of the snowflakes falling. I missed these beautiful experiences, and I will never get them back.

Just this year, with new friends and classes at school, I have discovered that I don't need these materialistic things for people to like me, and I definitely don't need them to be happy. I have found myself enjoying the little things again, not going through the motions, but instead taking in everything that life has given me.

I think that having this trait is what makes the birds, squirrels, and dogs happy. This is what makes nature happy; they don't have to worry about what society thinks of them. But you know what the best part is? We don't have to worry about what people think of us either.

The best thing that you can do for yourself in every situation is realizing your potential, strengthening your strengths, accepting your weaknesses, and noting that you are you for a reason. Being happy is not what you have, rather, it is what you make of your life. It's how you treat your body, your friendships, your world, and your future. You don't need anything to prove to yourself other than the values, strength, and faith you carry on your back -- that, and of course, your family and friends don't hurt your happiness either.

Find what you love and never let it go, no matter what others think. Forget about how many likes on Instagram you "need." Don't worry about taking pictures with your phone outside; instead, take everything in mentally and keep it forever. Always remember to laugh with your friends and appreciate everything they do for you. Most importantly, never forget to love your family and call every now and then to remind them how much they mean to you. This is the start of the road to becoming the happiest you can be.