How Being Sick Taught Me The Importance Of Self Care

I've never had fevers this high before, and I never want to again.
33

Today was the first day in a week that I woke up without a fever over a hundred degrees. I felt renewed. Since starting college two and a half years ago, it seems that my immune system keeps failing me more and more frequently. Living in the residence halls, I tend to catch the common cold a lot, but I came home to something worse this year.

It was a Friday morning when my mom discovered I had a high fever of 103.7 degrees. I've never had a temperature that high in my entire life. I was prescribed two different medications from the doctor- the second one being the miracle worker that finally brought my fever down. It was during this time of getting sick that I really had time to think about how important it is to take care of myself.

Your body is a temple, blah blah blah, I've heard that before, but over the course of the fevers and multiple shades of red and pink my face turned as my body ping-ponged between hot and cold, this week, I realized how important my body is, and how important it is for me to take care of myself.

I also realized that I would be absolutely nowhere without mommy and daddy dearest, who turned my fan on when I started to sweat out the fever, pile the blankets on top of me when my teeth wouldn't quit chattering, picked up my multiple prescriptions from Walgreen's, and made several calls to my Pediatrician (yes, I am 20 and yes I still have one) to figure out how to take down my fever.

A couple of other realizations I made over the week are a) I need to make an appointment with an adult doctor and stop putting it off, b) I actually LIKE tangerines and need to eat more of them as well as other citrus fruits, c) I would be no where without my parents and d) I only get one body, so I need to eat better, get to bed earlier, and take better care of myself to maybe stop making my immune system hate me so much.