9 Advantages Of Being Short

9 Advantages Of Being Short

A response to Whitney Atkinson and why being short is cool, too!

40
9 Advantages Of Being Short

First off, I think it's important to say that I loved Whitney Atkinson's article "Nine Advantages Of Being A Woman Over Six Feet Tall." I know it's hard to believe that there is anything great about being short—but there is. There are actually way more than nine reasons, but for the purpose of this article, I'll only enlighten you with that many.

1. Every door handle is in the perfect place.

Yes, I realize you might take this for granted, but seriously, every door handle is in the perfect place, whether I have to push, I have to pull, or I have to run back into my apartment late at night, and my hand just needs to shove the key in the right place, that perfect ratio of a short arm and a convenient door handle location is key—no pun intended. You don't know how grateful I am for that.

2. Picture perfect

Who knows, maybe I'm the only person who likes pictures, but I'm super photogenic, and I'm so happy I get to be in the front of every picture ever. If that's not cool, boo you. I think it's great that I get to always find myself. I get to be in the front row of every group picture, including a senior picture of over 600 students, so who's really winning?

3. People are so kind

I don't know what it is about small things, or people, but people are so kind to tiny short people. I love getting my head petted—not always, but I appreciate the cute gesture. I like how people reach things for me without me even asking, how people call me cute because I'm tiny, and how people have a general instinct to protect me because I'm small. That stuff is all really heart fluttering.

4. Best freakin hugs

I am by far a hugger, so it is my favorite thing to hug someone and have my head lay on their chest. It's the perfect ratio of a kind, nurturing, friendly love, and it gives me the warm fuzzies. Bring it in, always. I give some pretty great hugs, just sayin'.

5. Hiding

Whether I'm playing hide-and-go-seek or I'm walking in a crowded hallway, trying to avoid someone, all of that is super easy for me because I'm so short. I can fit in almost anywhere. The space under the lower shelf in the pantry is my favorite spot. I used to even hide under the bathroom vanity cabinets before. I love hiding almost anywhere because of my small stature. As tall as you are, looking over everyone, try finding a 5'2 person in the midst of 70 people who are 5'5-5'8. Good luck.

6. Baby bear

One of my favorite childhood stories was Goldilocks and the three bears. Just like baby bear, everything is just right. My tall friend's legs hang off of my bed, but mine fit just right. Chairs that I sit in are perfect. Cars are all good for me to sit in. Toilets are like perfect size. I can't imagine the struggle of a tall person fitting comfortably on a toilet seat, or even bending down to load a dishwasher. Being tall sucks. I can always get a ladder, but you can't just cut off your legs to accommodate yourself to everyday things.

7. Just like Shakira

I look nothing like Shakira, but being compared to Shakira because she is also short, is like the best compliment, and I will accept it every time.

8. Conversation starter

Tall people aren't the only people that get asked pointless questions. Pull out your ruler and measure me, no I don't play basketball, but I can play soccer, because literally your height does not matter in that sport. I don't really play soccer, but you get the gist. Being short is just as much of a conversation starter as being tall.

9. Forever young

I have a power puff girls shirt guys. I can buy overalls that fit perfectly. It's so easy to save money in the kids section. It's also really great to get asked if you're younger than you are because you're short, because I can rock any cartoon shirt without being questioned, and because when I'm actually 70, maybe I can look 53.

Don't be sad because you're short, there are still so many hidden advantages.