Being In A Long Distance Relationship Over Valentine's Day Is Not That Bad, Promise

It's important to take the time to appreciate your significant other and all that they do for you.
715

Valentine's Day is a time to be with the ones you love, no matter how you do it. Whether it's spending an evening at a fancy restaurant or ordering take out and staying in. For me and many others, it is spent over a Facetime call.

For me, this will be my first time being in a long distance relationship during Valentine's Day. First off, I was really nervous going into a long distance relationship. I didn't know how I have heard the many horror stories of how a long distance relationship goes. One person changes and they don't want the same things. In extreme cases cheating is involved. It becomes really messy and really hard to deal with. But for others, it works out great.

But people take each year of being apart on Valentine's Day as just another day. Some couples may plan a Facetime date with a movie and their own meals, or it may be just another busy day of school or work. Either way, it's important to take the time to appreciate them for all they do for you.

There are lots of people out there that think Valentine's Day is overrated. That it was created to sell special candy and sell a cheesy card with puns having to do with love. However, that doesn't always have to be the case. Valentine's Day can celebrate your best friend or someone in your life you really care about.

I know a lot of couples who have been married for 10+ years don't make a big deal about Valentine's Day as much as young couples do. But even my parents, after 22 years of marriage, still go out of their way to do something special for one another. My dad goes and gets roses for my mom and my mom gets dad the candy he likes for his office. It's small gestures like remembering their favorite candy is what makes Valentine's Day special and cute.

For my first Valentine's Day with a long distance relationship, February 14th happens to fall on a Wednesday. Because we are busy college students with lives outside of our relationship, my boyfriend and I decided to get together either the weekend before or after Valentine's Day to see each other and celebrate in person. Although the Facetime call is nice, his presence over the phone doesn't do any justice unlike seeing him in person.

Overall, being in a long distance relationship isn't such a bad thing. It all depends on how you look at it. If you take the time to plan out when to see each other, it all fits together. As long as you do take the time to plan something and appreciate them, I think that's what Valentine's Day is all about. Be sure to appreciate the ones you love around you (and even not so much around you).