The Best Parts Of Being Irish

The Best Parts Of Being Irish

It's more than just being lucky.

169
The Best Parts Of Being Irish
unsplash.com

I am so proud to be Irish, especially in March and on St. Patrick's Day! I'm about 75% Irish and I hope I will get to travel to Ireland at some point because I cannot wait to see all the beautiful sights, islands, famous attractions, and landmarks that grace the land there. I am a writer so I cannot wait to get to see the Dublin Writers Museum and just see all of the amazing places where famous writers came to create stories and lands that are as beautiful and mystical as Ireland itself.

There are so many beautiful places in Ireland I would want to visit like Glendalough, Cooley Peninsula, Connemara National Park, Glenveagh National Park, Galway Bay, the Aran Islands, the Skellig Islands, Giant's Causeway, the Ring of Kerr, and the Cliffs of Moher. I have seen gorgeous pictures of all of these places and they seem so relaxing and majestic. I feel like, even though I've never been there, once I get there I will feel right at home. At least, I hope so!

For now, all I have to remind me of my Irish-ness is St. Patrick's Day, and being so close to Boston during this time of year is amazing because the Irish culture in Boston is amazing. The parade on March 19th should be amazing and so many people celebrate their Irish heritage that day that we all just blend into a big blob of green.

I love that I am Irish because it makes me talkative, musical, strong, a story-teller, very pale, easily sunburnt (maybe I don't like that), and a temperament that can go from temperamental and stubborn to charming and kind. Though every individual is different, the amount of Irish people I've met and am related to all seem to meet these criteria.

A historian named Carl Wittke once said in his book, The Irish in America,

"The so-called Irish temperament is a mixture of flaming ego, hot temper, stubbornness, great personal charm and warmth, and a wit that shines through adversity. An irrepressible buoyancy, a vivacious spirit, a kindliness and tolerance for the common frailties of man and a feeling that ‘it is time enough to bid the devil good morning when you meet him’ are character traits which North Americans have associated with their Irish neighbors for more than a century.”

I agree with this above statement and I love the way that Irish people have gravitated to Boston and all over Massachusetts because it's great to see how all of these people migrated here from Ireland and made a life in a city that is now basically overflowing with Irish people and their culture. I love to be a part of it.

Because it is St. Patrick's Day, here is an old Irish blessing for all of you Irish people celebrating anywhere in the world today:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F03%2F10%2F636247699523905701658826144_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=626&h=22b318ee7ab0cf94618a119e2436317b01e6f76a5fa975e1ab8cd6e62c423dc3&size=980x&c=4151641565 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F03%252F10%252F636247699523905701658826144_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D626%26h%3D22b318ee7ab0cf94618a119e2436317b01e6f76a5fa975e1ab8cd6e62c423dc3%26size%3D980x%26c%3D4151641565%22%7D" expand=1]