Being A Godly Woman

Being A Godly Woman

It's not always what we want it to be

135
Being A Godly Woman
Amanda Jayne Sankey

Often times, when lessons are taught or articles are written on how to be a Godly woman, Proverbs 31 is used. That is a great chapter in the Bible, and a great example to look at when striving to be a woman of God. But there are other verses.

1 Timothy 2: 9-15 is a whole section describing how women should be.

We are so quick to look at Pinterest and see all of the verses that are easy to agree with: “Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised” (Proverbs 31:30). Girls are constantly using verses like this to caption their selfies on social media (please don’t) without stopping to think about what they really mean.

God didn’t speak these words to life so you could use it for “selfie Sunday.” He did this for you to use every day in how you live out your life. For you to go to His Word to see an example of who to be, to have direction in your life.

There are verses in the Bible directed at women that aren’t quoted as often. There are verses that we pretend aren’t there, because they aren’t as fun to listen to. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

1 Timothy 2: 9-10 says, “Also, the women are to dress themselves in modest clothing, with decency and good sense, not with elaborate hairstyles, gold pearls, or expensive apparel, but with good works, as is proper for women who affirm that they worship God.”

Modest. That word that no one likes. Especially in the summer, when it’s hot and all we want to be wearing is as little as possible. Just because the degree has gone up doesn’t mean it is easier for boys struggling to fight their temptations. Don’t make it harder for them; it’s already hard enough. Men are very visual creatures, and seeing their sisters in Christ wearing next to nothing definitely does not help them.

Sometimes it is easy to be caught up in attention. Whatever kind of attention you can get. But when you find yourself showing less skin to gain more attention, you should think about what you’re doing. Is that really the kind of attention you want?

“…Not with elaborate hairstyles, gold pearls, or expensive apparel, but with good works…” My mother once told me, look where someone spends their time and money. That will tell you who they are. If you are receiving attention, let it be for your good acts, not your fancy clothes. Let that be what people see when they look at you.

“…As is proper for women who affirm that they worship God.” Strive to be an example of the God you claim to worship. The Bible tells you how to do this. Don’t claim the Lord with your words while you live something different with your life.

The second half of this passage is one that many women would prefer to ignore. But pretending it isn’t there doesn’t make it go away.

“A woman should learn in silence with full submission. I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to be silent. For Adam was created first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and transgressed. But she will be saved through childbearing, if she continues in faith, love, and holiness, with good judgement.”

Submission. A word more hated than modesty. But it’s there, and it isn’t wrong. The world will tell you submission is wrong, but the Word tells you that it is right. A woman submits to her husband. That is a part of being a Godly woman (and one that is never used as a caption on Instagram).

Women are not to have authority over a man. We can hate that all we want, but it’s not going anywhere. That is a part of being a Godly woman.

“…If she continues in faith, love, and holiness, with good judgement.” Be faithful to God, to your friends, to your family. Love the Lord, your friends, your family. Strive to be in holiness. Strive to be with good judgement.

These characteristics, this desire to be a Godly woman, is impossible without the Lord. But through Him all things are possible. If you don’t understand, if you don’t desire these attributions, pray. Ask God to change your heart to desire His plan for you, His design for His people.

Whether we agree with God’s word or not, it’s God’s word. And His word is true.