being fat in high school

To The 'Fat Kid' In High School, There's Life Beyond Just Those 4 Years

There is life beyond high school. Trust me.

297

I'll always remember Sundays as a kid and how much excitement it brought me. Even though we had school the next day Sunday was my favorite day. I could get my twice a week dose of Jesus and after services we were heading out somewhere to eat, mainly McDonald's. I had already done away with wanting kid meals at the age of 7 and wanted to move up to the big boy burgers.

By the time I was 9 years old, I was ordering Big Macs as my go-to meal. It never occurred to me that I couldn't just eat whatever and how much of whatever I wanted to eat. It began increasingly aware to me and others that my weight was becoming a problem.

High school was the worst of days for me in terms of my confidence and physical capabilities. Participating in sports made me nervous cause I wasn't good and would get laughed at, but I could hand out L's in "Call of Duty" and "NBA2K." Because of my size, I was constantly egged on to play for the football team. I can't begin to tell you how many times I was told "you can't let all that size go to waste" or "you should be playing football with how big you are." I know they weren't alluding to how fat I was, but deep down I felt discomfort in myself because it seemed as if that was the only route to take.

Constantly being made fun of and rejected due to your weight was a significant enough reason for me to change and become better. There is life after high school. Not just when the bell rings or when you are dismissed for summer break. Life continues beyond walking across the stage and being handed your diploma. It may not occur to you right now that your body is experiencing change and that you may feel that you are falling behind your peers.

Just know that you aren't. Trust me... you can only control what you do now to better yourself for that future you desire. Make sure that you are eating healthy and exercising. Don't get complacent in your obesity because you can call people out for "fat shaming." That is not a healthy mindset to have even when you are faced with antagonizing comments.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" — Marianne Williamson

Don't let your guard down just because you have an advantage over other people. Enjoy every moment because I promise you time flies.