What It's Like Being An Only Child On National Sibling Day

Sometimes one isn't the loneliest number

526
telegraph.co.uk

Being an only child has a lot of stereotypes. Some of the stereotypes consist of things like we are extremely spoiled, the second something goes wrong, we cry, or we have no idea how to be social. Well, that's all wrong! Not all of us have only child syndrome, I promise.

I mean it does stink that we can't participate in #nationalsiblingday on social media, but I mean hey, I get to post a selfie and say that I'm pretty cool all by myself. One isn't the loneliest number!

I grew up in a very large (and loud) Italian family. There was always enough food to go around and to take home as leftovers. There was also so much love, sometimes you got sick of all the hugs as you walked into a house full of people. I never had to question if people were going to show up to my birthday parties or if my grandma would call every night to say hello to my parents and me. We are such a close-knit family, it can get crazy sometimes. We have so many memories and laughs, I would never trade any of it for the world. There is a saying that your first friends in this world are your cousins, and I could not agree more. They were always with me growing up and even though we are at least six years apart, I don't know anyone I am closer too. They are like my older siblings and same goes for their significant others. All of them watch out for me and are always ready to do anything to protect me. Through thick and thin, they have always been by my side to hold my hand or give me a hug. And for that, I am forever grateful for them.

The other thing you realize as an only child is, people don't have to be blood to be family. My best friends in this world have become like a set of sisters to me. I know that when I get married, they will be in my wedding and since I have no siblings, my kids will have the great honor to call them auntie. These people are always at my apartment hanging out and driving me absolutely crazy. But they teach me lessons about myself and the world every day. They show me how to see the world from a different angle and that life isn't always black and white, it has a lot of color and gray area to it.

People always ask me if I was bored growing up as an only child, or why I am extremely social instead of shy and quiet. I always laugh and say that no, I was never bored as a kid. I also tell that that I am super social because that is the way I am. I don't fit into the "stereotypes" of an only child. My parents showed me the value of a dollar and not everything gets handed to you on a silver platter. They also threw in a few lessons on to be nice and polite to others. My favorite lesson was that being social and making friends is a lot more fun that being alone.

Like I said, I may not be able to post about legit siblings on national sibling day, but I have enough people around me that someone is bound to mess up like a sibling does!