5 Things You Miss Most Leaving Your Younger Siblings For College

"No matter where I am or who I become, I will always be by my siblings' sides."

185
Allura Laubert

College has so far been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I have found friends that I'm grateful for, grown as a person, and learned so much about the world around me. Yet being away from home has caused me to miss out on the most important little humans in my life. Being away from my siblings is one of the greatest obstacles in my life. Every minute I'm away from them I remember that they are going on with their lives without me. I always knew it was a matter of time, but now that the time has come I'm left with an empty space in my heart that can only be filled by the smiles and laughs of my much younger siblings. There are so many things I miss about being home with my siblings and these are the same things any older sibling with a good age gap feels when being so far away from home.

1.You're missing all of their milestones

Being in college has made me miss out on many of the huge jumps that little kids take growing up. My little sister is learning new words, and my brother is forming his first crushes on girls. I miss the days where I got to experience the little changes kids have first hand, now that I'm in college I have to experience the milestones second hand through phone calls.

2. You don't get to hear about their day at school

Back when I wasn't in college, I would always look forward to the stories my brother would have about school. Now that I'm in college I don't get to hear about what adventures my brother had with friends. One of my brothers just started school this year as well. I hear about their cute little stories, and the mischief they get into, but it's not the same as hearing them as soon as they get home from school.

3. You lose your authority

SInce I'm not watching my siblings as much as I used to, I've lost a lot of my authority over my siblings. They of course eventually listen to me when I tell them to behave themselves, but it takes time to convince them that I still have power over them.

4.You can't protect them

Two of the three of my siblings are hardcore savages, but one is a little sensitive thing. He is emotional when others hurt his feelings, and get overwhelmed when he is messed with. That being said, I truly miss being able to protect him from the mean words of others. I want to always be by his side and be able to tell him he is a beautiful and bright kid.

5. You can't teach them to be like you

My siblings have a lot of aspects about themselves that they have stolen from me. From the little sass they have when they walk, to the eye roll they give to foolish remarks. I however change constantly, and one of my favorite things was my siblings catching on to my style. Now they are copying their friends, and I'd being lying if I said I wasn't completely jealous.

Despite all of this, I know I will never love my siblings differently and they will never love me differently. No matter where I am or who I become, I will always be by my siblings' sides.

So to the apples of my eye, I love you and will always be your sissy.