Before You Geaux Greek

Before You Geaux Greek

This one's for all my ladies out there.

23
Before You Geaux Greek
LSU Zeta Facebook

With college comes opportunity. An option that seems to be appealing to many girls including myself is the Greek route. Let’s start by dispelling a few rumors: no, deciding to join a sorority does not mean that you pay to have friends, it does not by any means make you a party animal who doesn’t know how to go to class, and it does not mean that you suddenly become a whole different person who can’t talk to your old friends anymore. With that being said, there are a lot of things about Greek life that one should know before deciding if this is the right decision for them.

Before you even decide to rush, at some point you’re going to mention to someone that you are considering it. More times than not, this will spark a conversation about which sororities are the best and why you should or shouldn’t like certain ones. Everyone is going to have different reasons for who they like, and you shouldn’t base your opinions on what other people say. If someone is trying to tell you that one sorority is better than another, take a step back and think. Have they been through rush? Have they been up close and personal with these girls? No. And if they have, then that means they have been through rush, and they should know better than to try and make up your mind for you. Every time I was told that I should only want to pick (insert literally any sorority here, I’ve heard it all), it was told to me by someone who was my age; someone who knew as much as I did about these girls, and I regret having those voices in the back of my mind going into LSU. Entering into the rush with a predetermined idea of what each sorority is all about is toxic and will ultimately end in disappointment and confusion. It’s best to avoid these conversations altogether. Keeping an open mind is the key to finding your true place. Legacies that means you too! Just because your mom, sister, aunt, or whoever wore those letters, doesn’t mean that you won’t be happy wearing something different. Being a legacy does not guarantee you a spot in the sorority, so don’t be afraid to let yourself fall in love somewhere else. I promise your family is more focused on you finding your true place rather than you settling where you think they want you to go.

Rush. I’m sure if you know anyone in any sorority any`where that you’ve heard the horror stories. The only advice I can give you is to keep an open mind. I cannot stress that enough. Rush is stressful and tiring for both the rushees and the actives, so keep that in mind when you’re talking to someone about where you’re from and what you did in high school for the seventh time that day. You’re going to have some awkward conversations; don’t judge the whole house based on one girl that you didn’t feel like you clicked with. Each sorority has a wide range and variety of personalities within it. Not to mention, some of these girls have never rushed anyone before, and they are just as nervous as you are. It’s going to be loud; nobody can prepare you for how loud hundreds of yelling girls in one house can be. Take a deep breath, and just keep moving. You’re going to get cut from houses that you feel you really had a connection with. It isn’t personal. Please do not think it is anything personal. Each house has a limit that they can’t exceed. It happens to literally everyone. It isn’t the end of the world. Call your mom or sister or aunt or whoever, cry it out, and start talking to them about who you like out of the houses who invited you back; it will help you realize that there is still a lot of positive and it will make you appreciate the invitations that you did receive. If you didn’t go in with an open mind, and you get cut from the house that you’ve been wanting since you were like fifteen or something, do not drop rush. Everything happens for a reason; use the rest of the week to make a connection somewhere else. You’re going to make it through rush, you’re going to get to bid day, and you’re going to run to whatever house you get a bid from alongside your new sisters. If you get a bid from a sorority that you aren’t sure you connected with, give it a chance. They chose you for a reason.

Going Greek was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I can promise you that if you decide that Greek life is the right choice for you, you’re going to find your home and girls who you won’t hesitate to call your sisters. Take it from someone who ended up running to a house I would’ve never expected to fall in love with (because I didn’t go in with an open mind), jumping into my bid day buddy’s arms, and bursting into tears. I had fallen in love from day one of rush, and still, let other’s opinions make me question the connection I had with those girls until the moment I opened my bid day card. I regret that to this day, and I wish I would’ve never listened to anyone else. There should be no shame or confusion with the house you find a home in. Stereotypes don’t matter and tiers don’t exist; the only thing that matters is walking into a house that welcomes you, being proud to wear your letters, and looking back on your decision knowing that it was entirely your own. Best of luck, rushees, and Geaux Tigers!