Everything You Need To Know Before Watching 'Avengers: Endgame'
Film

Your review before "Avengers: Endgame."

191

Warning!! There are spoilers ahead for any Marvel Cinematic Universe movie. You have been warned.

"Avengers: Endgame" comes out April 26 and I couldn't be more excited. So much so that I have opening night tickets to see the movie with friends. I didn't get into the MCU until I started dating my boyfriend about two and a half years ago, but I'm so glad I did. I was never a huge fan of action movies because they stressed me out, but I didn't realize what I had been missing out on.

These movies are in the chronological order (in my opinion) that you should see, leading up to "Endgame." The list is largely taken from CNET, which includes shows and sequels as well. But, I don't think that those are necessary to see the movie. With that being said, here's what you need to know before seeing "Endgame" next week.

"Captain America: The First Avenger"

This movie sets up who Steve Rogers is, Captain America. It shows how he got his superhuman strength through the Super Soldier Serum and introduces us to the Soul Stone, which comes in handy in the Infinity Gauntlet, which Thanos uses to destroy half of the universe in Avengers: Infinity War. This movie also introduces us to Bucky Barnes, who later becomes the Winter Soldier.

"Captain Marvel"

The latest movie in the MCU, Captain Marvel introduces us to Carol Danvers, a human who survived a tesseract explosion (the Space Stone, also in the Infinity Gauntlet) granting her superhuman powers. Carol was not in Infinity War but shows up in Endgame, so I'm eager to see what happens next. This movie also introduces us to a young Nick Fury, a then agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., and we see that he and Carol have a special bond. In a post credit scene, Nick starts to work on the Avengers Initiative.

"Iron Man"

We have Tony Stark in this movie, a playboy who ends up in a sticky situation in Iraq, where he ends up birthing the idea of Iron Man. At the end of this movie, Nick Fury approaches Tony and tells him about the Avengers Initiative, which also gives birth to our original heroes in the MCU. We are also introduced to Colonel Rhodes, a.k.a. War Machine, Tony's best friend.

"Thor"

The birth movie of the Norse god, Thor. We learn about the Asgardian in this movie, and we are also introduced to his brother Loki, a trickster of sorts.

"The Avengers"

This movie is VITAL to the MCU. Without it, there'd really be no reason for any of this. This is the first time that we see all of the original hero's together, and they save the world for the first time. We also see Hawkeye and the Black Widow make an appearance, who, even though they don't have a solo movie, they are vital to the team. This movie deals with the tesseract again.

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

Even though I said that sequels don't matter as much before, the Captain America ones do. Bucky Barnes, who was Steve Rogers' best friend, was thought to have died in the first Captain America movie, but he was found by some doctors and revived to life. At this point, Bucky has been brainwashed and his main goal now is to take out Steve.

"Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 1"

This movie introduces us to the Guardians of the Galaxy which includes Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot. They meet at a jail in space and team up to break out, birthing the Guardians. At the end of this movie, they use the power stone to defeat Ronan (the villain in the movie), but the stone is still intact at the end. This is one of the stones used in the Infinity Gauntlet.

"Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2"

This sequel matters as well. There are no stones in this one, but we are reintroduced to Nebula, Gamora's sister, who doesn't disappear in the Thanos snap. The Guardians have to trade batteries in order to save Nebula, but Gamora and her sister have never had a great relationship. Mantis is introduced in the movie and ends up joining the Guardians. Gamora and Peter get closer in their romance, which will attribute to the story in Infinity War since Peter becomes angry at Thanos because of he killer Gamora.

"Avengers: Age of Ultron"

This movie sets the precedent for the breakup of the Avengers in Captain America: Civil War. We also meet Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, twins who were experimented on and ended up with superhuman powers. The Avengers fight a robot creation made by Tony Stark that was supposed to help the group out but turned against them. Vision is also born in this movie, who operates from the mind stone, another stone in the Gauntlet. He and Scarlet Witch have a romance, which is very cute. During the fight against Ultron, the Avengers end up destroying Sokovia, a fictional city. There's also an end credit scene including Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. He wants to avenge the Avengers, setting up the plot for Infinity War. Hulk also leaves the team at the end of this film.

"Ant-Man"

This is the origin story of Scott Lang, a dad who has been in and out of jail. He is approached by Hank Pym to try out his new suits that shrink someone down to the size of an ant, and Scott becomes Ant-Man. This movie doesn't include any stones, but origin stories are always important. Plus, it's a funny movie to watch.

"Captain America: Civil War"

This movie creates some strain amongst the Avengers. They ultimately break up because Tony is on board with the Avengers becoming absorbed by the government, while Steve thinks they should stay as a separate entity. We are also introduced to the Black Panther, who thinks that Bucky has killed his father when it was really someone who looked like him. We are also introduced to Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-man, who is personally my favorite superhero in the MCU. Ant-Man is also in this movie, during a big fight scene between Tony and Steve, basically showing who's better. Tony also finds out that Bucky killed his parents back in the '90s, while he was under mind control, which fuels his hatred for Bucky and makes him upset that Steve sides with Bucky.

"Black Panther"

The Black Panther is arguably one of the best movies in the MCU in my opinion. It shows us black culture in a beautiful way that isn't normally shown in the media. I enjoyed every minute of it and would see it over and over again. This is the origin story of T'challa a.k.a. the Black Panther. We are introduced to the world of Wakanda and all of the uses of vibranium. No stones in this movie, but still important.

"Spider-Man: Homecoming"

This is also another origin story. It introduces Peter Parker, our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. He has a fun, youthful and innocent personality, and is just a boy still trying to figure out his place in the world. He shows up in Infinity War and fights with Tony, Peter Quill, Drax, Mantis and Doctor Strange in space, but things don't work out that well.

"Doctor Strange"

Now, I've never seen this movie, but I have a wonderful boyfriend that explained who Doctor Strange is. He uses the soul stone to control time and uses it in Infinity War to see the possible outcomes of defeating Thanos.

"Ant-Man and the Wasp"

The only important part about this sequel is that it introduces us to the quantum realm, which people are speculating that the Avengers use to go back in time in "Endgame." We also see at the end of this movie that Scott is exploring the quantum realm and his team disappears in the Thanos snap, leaving the audience on the edge of their seat, wondering what happened to Scott.

"Thor: Ragnarok"

The last sequel that matters. It is another funny movie in the MCU and gives us more history in the world of Thor. The only important thing about this movie is in the end credit scene. Everyone has escaped Asgard on a big ship, but another huge ship shows up, which holds Thanos inside, where he is about to play out his plan to destroy half the universe.

"Avengers: Infinity War"

So... Thanos did it. He got all the infinity stones and carried out his plan to destroy half the universe, returning it to balance. Now, our original hero's are the only ones left, who will try and get everyone who disappeared back from wherever they were sent in the snap. It was great to see everyone back together after their fight, but now I hope they can save everyone in the end.

I'm excited about "Endgame," and I can't wait to see where our heroes end up. The MCU can't leave us with half the universe gone, that would just be devastating. And, I really hope that Spider-Man feels better soon.