Life lessons the blind side
Film

9 Valuable Life Lessons We Could All Learn From 'The Blind Side'

6. Love gives you strength to stand up for those you care about

2866
Clip from "The Blind Side"

If you haven't seen "The Blind Side," it's a must-watch if you love heartwarming films (and you don't have to be a sports fan to understand it or love it). Based on a true story, this movie is about how Michael Oher, a homeless teen, who finally finds the love, support, and family that made him realize he really was capable of leaving behind his past for a beautiful future. Besides tugging at your heartstrings, this movie really puts things into perspective and gives you a renewed look at life and all the things we take for granted.

Here are 9 (although there are plenty more) life lessons that you can take away from this movie.

1. Respect yourself enough to be honest

media.giphy.com

No matter what situation you may be in, it really is just that: a situation. It's not who you are as a person and how you should define yourself, which is something we often do to ourselves. But why do that? We should know our worth and stand up for it like Michael did when he wanted to let go of a name he hadn't chosen.

2. Having fun is a birthright

media.giphy.com

It doesn't matter what you've been through or even if you know where you're going; you are SUPPOSED to have fun. Whether it's rapping in the car, kicking butt on the field, watching a movie, or anything else — just do it.

3. Practice compassion and open-mindedness

media.giphy.com

It's one thing to have an open mind and think about helping others, but how often are we able to put it into practice?

4. Take nothing for granted

media.giphy.com

In this scene, after getting a room in Tuohy house, Michael says, "I've never had one."

To which Leigh Anne asks, "What, a room to yourself?"

"No, a bed."

5. When the worst thing we think that can happen does happen, it's for the best

media.giphy.com

After getting into a car accident while driving with S.J., the youngest member of the Tuohy household, Michael feels ashamed and guilty. But when Leigh Anne finds out that he stopped the airbag that would have probably killed S.J. with his hand, it leads to something that gives him a new chance at life.

media.giphy.com

The funny thing about any type of love is that when you're in it, it seems as if you're also given the strength to stand up for and protect that love; and it doesn't matter who is on the other side.

7. Sometimes, the people you thought you were helping end up helping you

media.giphy.com

Sometimes, we go through life thinking we're helping someone with their struggles; but it's only until later we realize that we were being helped by them. It could be their attitude, their sense of self, or their confidence, but we know that they have inspired us more than we could have ever inspired them.

8. Don't forget to realize the moments in which you ARE living your dream

media.giphy.com

At every point in our life we have dreams for our future, but sometimes we forget that the life we have now is the one we had dreamt of having before. Don't forget to celebrate those amazing moments.

9. Show your love

media.giphy.com

Family, friends, or whomever else, show them that you care. <3