If College Majors Were Beers

If College Majors Were Beers

College, beer me strength.
116

If you're in college, you probably drink a lot of beer, and if you're just a fan of beer in general, maybe you've ever wondered what your choice of beers says about you. Whether you're in college or graduated, here are a list of beer types that might say a lot about your college major. Don't worry, I also got input from friends in these majors, which only reinforces these college majors as beers, especially when the results matched what I was expecting. So the question is, which beer are you reaching for?

History/English/Philosophy/Religion: Porters and Stouts

Let's bring in this history aspect real quick, stouts are actually a type of porter that is unmalted instead of malted, but let's be honest, you probably already knew that. You like bold and darker tastes, a taste for the unconventional. Porters and stouts seem perfect for a night in, reading informative book on any of the four majors above, scribbling down notes into a journal, and almost secluding yourself from everyone around you with all the reading and writing that comes along with being a major in one of these fields. So the dark and bitter taste of these porters and stouts may deter most people, but to you, it's a perfect fit with tastes that represent yourself and these fields well. (As a side note, I'm a history major, so don't worry).

Engineering/Computer Science/Architecture: Lager

A lot of beers actually come from the over all umbrella of lager, but these majors are those who don't care what they get their hands on and will drink anything that seems appealing. And when they see lager, they immediately recognize it's a beer and grab one. After all of the work and stress and the moments of questioning one's sanity for even being in one of these majors, a couple of drinks is much needed, and what's easier to get your hands on than a typical lager? And they probably drink a bunch of beer at once, so the convenience of this type of beer helps with that. (I'm talking, they're probably grabbing a Budweiser or Yuengling and not thinking twice about grabbing anything else)

Education: Light Beers

They need something easy to drink after a long day working with kids, so a go to choice is a light beer. A lot of education majors tend to be women, and I know for a fact, that it's wired into many women's brains to be cautious of calories, so sipping on a beer light in taste and light in calories is a go-to choice. They probably aren't fans of beer anyways, so they won't understand how different it really tastes when you compare a light beer to its original.

Business (Marketing, Management, Finance): Pilsner/Craft Beer

I have to put this under these majors because, as a once marketing major, I know exactly how these majors work. No one really takes management seriously, but like to pretend it's not a fallback (okay not every time, but still), and finance majors and marketing majors like to make big deals out of things, tend to be somewhat superficially and overly laid-back. They like lighter tastes, like a pilsner, that are easy to take back and they probably say that Stella Artois is there favorite beer. If they aren't drinking that, they're probably trying every craft beer under the sun, whether they like the beer types or not, just to make people feel like they (the people in these majors) are better than they (probably) are. Plus, marketing students get to deduce the advertising appeal of the beer labels when they try copious amounts of craft beer.

Business (Economics, Accounting): Blonde and Pale Ales

These majors think very rationally and tend to be A-type personalities, so it's a safer bet for them to stick to something light and not too hoppy, otherwise that tends to be an immediate deterrent. So with a blonde ale or pale ale, they're easier to drink, which is a bonus because after a day spent doing work for this major, a few drinks is necessary.

Art/Theatre/Design: IPA

They things with a lot of character, attributes, pizzazz, and taste, and what beer is better than an IPA for that? These drinks are strong in alcohol content, and these majors like to be flamboyant and fun, so IPA has to be the drink of choice, especially when it hits you quicker than other beers. There's plenty of different types with different flavor/aroma notes and hoppiness, so they'll enjoy any type every time.

General Math/Science: Brown Ale

They like the fact this kind of beer can have a robust yet still light and sweet taste. It's easier to drink than a lot of darker beers, but a little more difficult to drink than light beers. It's an acquired taste, and just like many people may think they're good at math or science in general, pursuing these majors isn't icing on the cake. They like the challenge of their major, but they crave the moments that it gets easier, which is why drinking brown ale as the beer of choice for these majors fit perfectly. Plus, sometimes these beers can reach high alcohol content levels, which is much needed after a stressful, busy day in these majors.

Psychology/Sociology: Non-Alcoholic

These two majors have to be non-alcoholic simply because they probably best understand what alcohol does to the brain and body, and how that influences personal behavior and that of groups. Since they know these things, they're probably very cautious of what they're drinking, how much, when and where, and who with. So it's best to just opt for non-alcoholic so things are less hectic.

Nursing: Ciders

After a day of dealing with literal blood, sweat, and tears (often not even their own), it's time to get something sweet and refreshing when getting back home and having that time to relax. A cider is known for it's sweetness, so after a day of feeling miserable, nursing majors can use a little extra sweet in their life before things start to get hectic all over again.

Agriculture/Parks and Recreation: Pumpkin Ale

Maybe I chose this because pumpkins are natural and harvested, maybe I did it because these majors just really like pumpkin? Who knows. But really, these majors love pumpkin ale because they themselves may be a little biased. Their majors literally deal with natural things such as food or sustainability or geography/climate...basically just nature in general. So of course they're going to gravitate towards pumpkin ales when they're available, and of course they're going to say how much they love it (even if they don't at first). Plus, these majors don't get enough recognition, and maybe the pumpkin ale helps them feel like they do since pumpkin ales are way over-recognized. (Just kidding, you guys in these majors are great)

ALSO, so sorry if I missed your major on this list or if these beers didn't match up to your own personal tastes/representation. It's just a fun little list that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Anyways, why are you still reading? Go get yourself a beer.