A College Student's Guide To Being Spontaneous When Abroad

It's not all in the travel books.

7
Sydney Gelb

I spent the last nine weeks of my summer traveling across Europe. Starting in Galway, Ireland for the first month and a half, I studied with friends, lived in apartments in the county's city center, and immersed myself in the Irish lifestyle. Following my time in Galway, I traveled from Dublin, Ireland to Amsterdam, Netherlands; Berlin, Germany; Hamburg, Germany, and finally, ended my Euro-trip in Copenhagen, Denmark. Each city had its own unique flavor, resulting in new experiences that I otherwise would not have had the opportunity to explore, and it was all thanks to spontaneity.

Initially, I had anticipated Galway to be larger than it was. The city was small, similar to that of the town in which I grew up, and it was largely able to be explored solely in a weekend's time. After about a week and a half, I began to feel a sort of cabin fever. Unable to remain stuck in the same daily routine, I decided to walk. On my iPhone maps, I looked up any noted landmark within a six mile radius, and unknowing of its significance or even remaining presence, myself and another student on the trip would stroll to this seemingly mysterious territory. It was on these adventures that I found the most excitable and interesting parts of Galway.

More often than not, when traveling abroad, one is given multiple suggestions as to where to go, what sights to see, and more. Initially, I believed this planning of where to travel to during my trip to Europe was the best idea for me, as I didn't have ample amounts of time in each new country I visited (save for Ireland). After visiting the most touristic areas in Amsterdam, I decided this active, neurotic planning may not be the right choice.

My favorite parts of my experience abroad came from my ability to let go of the "need" to do what all other tourists have done hundreds of times. Walking around unique neighborhoods gave me an entirely new view of these cities which seemingly only have to offer those few things that were suggested to me. The back roads of Germany, the meatpacking district of Copenhagen, all had something different to give that I otherwise would not have found, and I am so grateful that I was able to.

So, that being said, I would suggest to anyone going abroad who is obsessively making lists and trying to cram in as many famous landmarks and museums as possible to pause and think. Yes, it is important to see much of each city's history, but it's fun to shake it up a bit. Choose those few things which you can actually take the time to absorb and which actually interest you, and from there on, find the new and unique sides of each city. I promise you, it won't disappoint.