Dear (Your Significant Other): "You Are My One and Only"

51
Asia Dating Experts

This summer, I marched in Genesis (a drum corp located in Austin, Texas). Our 2016 show was titled "Hell Hath No Fury." It depicts the Greek goddess Medea discovering that her husband had been cheating on her.

When we were little, we were taught the honor code. We were taught to be honest to ourselves and others. We were taught that lying, cheating, and stealing should never be tolerated. Unfortunately, we have all violated the honor code at least once in our lives. We all have told a few lies, some of us have cheated on an exam, and some of us have stolen items.

Cheating is a huge issue in today's society. Cheating can consist of many actions: peeking at someone's test paper, not giving credit to information that is not ours, doping, or having an affair. Yes, there are challenges that pop up in our lives. Our lives are not supposed to be easy. It is OK to struggle and fail. That is how we get better. However, it is not OK to run away from our challenges by cutting corners. When you cheat on others, you not only let them down, but you let yourself down as well.

The type of cheating I'd like to address to you today is cheating on a significant other.

In my opinion, there are no gray areas in a relationship. Either you're single or you're taken. If your relationship status is complicated, then you're taken.

As college students, many of us are in committed relationships. Some of us (yes you juniors and seniors) are planning on getting married. If that is you, congratulations! Being in a relationship should be a blessing, however one act of dishonesty can change your relationship with your romantic partner in a blink of an eye.

Cheating in romantic relationships is an especially a huge problem. Cheating has caused countless divorces, breakups, and trust issues. Do you really want to break the heart of your partner who trusts you with his or her life? How would you feel if he or she did that to you? Do you want them to view you as a stranger instead of their best friend forever?

If you are married and you have children, if your spouse finds out about your treachery, you are teaching your children that it is OK to be dishonest and disloyal to the love of your life. Remember that your children look up to you for everything. YOU are their role model. As a married person, you made a lifelong commitment to your partner and you are expected to abide by it until death.

Yes, I understand that romantic relationships can get difficult. They take a lot of work to maintain. Sometimes conflicts do arise. However, finding another girl or guy to fall in love with while your current significant other is in the dark is NOT OK. There are ways that you can resolve the conflicts present in your relationship: you can evaluate what you can change about yourself, talk to your significant other about what specifically he or she is doing and why it is bothering you (be honest but say it nicely and calmly), talk it through with a counselor, or break up.

If you think that you are not going to get caught, you are wrong. A few years ago the FBI chief was caught up in an affair. So if he can't keep it "top secret", then you will fail as well. Friends, acquaintances, bosses, or even family members will know of your treachery. Remember that it only takes one person to sound the alarm. Your reputation will be tarnished forever. Your best friends might abandon you. Your family might doubt you. Your boss might fire you. If you're serving in the United States military, you might be dishonorably discharged (especially if you're in the Marine Corps). Nobody will be able to take you seriously or believe in you ever again. Most of all, you will regret that decision for the rest of your life. Even if justice is not brought to you, God is watching you and He will know.

I hope that you, the reader, have enough courage to know that straying away from your significant other for someone else is morally incorrect. I hope that you can tell others that you are dating so-and-so. I hope that you can take the time to proudly post on your Facebook page that you're in a relationship. I hope that you are proud enough to post pictures of both of you on social media. And most of all, if you are engaged or married, I hope that you can wear your ring with pride and put up pictures of both of you together at your work.

If you're thinking about cheating on your significant other or you're flirting with another girl/boy because you think the grass is greener on the other side (aka they're more beautiful/handsome than your current significant other), I've got two words for you: GROW UP.

If you suspect that your significant other is cheating on you (you haven't seen him or her doing it personally or someone has told you/ hinted to you about it), then he or she probably is. Trust your gut and move on. If you catch your significant other in the act (or someone tells you that he/she is going out with someone else), then you need to break up with them ASAP.

Yes, we are not perfect. As humans we screw up. I believe most humans are good at heart and would never do anything out of malicious intent. We should always be willing to give others a second chance especially in our romantic relationships. But once your significant other has nonverbally stated that their loyalty lies in someone else other than you, then you need to move on because it's not worth it. If you keep associating yourself with that person, you could be setting yourself up for more major future disappointments and/or the risk of contracting an STD.

I would strongly encourage you to forgive them for their transgressions as God has forgiven you for yours. Having the burden of a grudge will not make you the better man or woman. However, I would strongly discourage associating with them ever again.

That is what a mature person would do. You know that deep in your heart, you deserve better. You deserve a man or a woman who will stand faithfully by your side through the good, the bad, and the ugly. You deserve to be with someone who does not lower your standards. You should expect and accept only honesty from others. You know that associating with questionable people is nothing but drama. As a mature person, you want to avoid drama at all costs. And hanging around with someone who has broken your trust once is nothing but drama. It's nothing but trouble and a heartache. Let him or her go. They are not worth it.