Battling The "Over The Month" Slump

Battling The "Over The Month" Slump

Exams come around, projects are assigned, and the homework begins to pile up...

17
Battling The "Over The Month" Slump

Starting college especially as freshmen is filled with excitement. New experiences and new stuff to do. Even as class begins, there's certain kick in your step. Now it's been over a month. Routines have been made, schedules have been set, and college life starts. It's also when the real work begins. Exams come around, projects are assigned, and the homework begins to pile up. That excitement seems to fade and procrastination knocks on your door.

It's the time of year where the semester begins to set into a routine and it seems like there's no end in sight. What to do? A slump in motivation is completely normal especially after getting into a routine. Yet sadly life can't stop or speed up in an instant. Here's a couple of tips to rev up your motivation and get back into the groove of life.

1. Treat yourself.

Unsplash

We live in a society that pressures and requires hard work for many people. Sadly, we don't live in a society that pressures rest. Especially when it comes to constantly working hard over long periods of time without some sort of relief or reward, it can cause burnout. You may plateau in work and it is not beneficial for your development. Sometimes it may be hard, but every once in a while you need to buy that cookie. Work harder one night so you can give yourself the weekend off so you go out. Those things can make a big difference not only in the view of motivation, but also your mental health.

2. Browse and discover.

The great thing about social media is that people can share tips and experiences and photos of what you may want to do. I love pinning, and liking photos and keeping them as inspiration. Visual keepsakes are great to stay motivated. Setting your background on your phone or making an inspiration board full of pictures is a great reminder of what's possible. I also have been loving podcasts for a source of inspiration because welcoming new opinions can inspire one's mindset. It is also a great place to find new things to embark on. Which leads me to my next point.

3. Try new things.

Unsplash

It doesn't have to be the experience of a lifetime, but having new experiences can put a new filter on things. Once the days become predictable and almost scripted it may seem like there's no point in trying. Trying something new that requires effort is a great way to jumpstart your motivation. Even something like trying a recipe for the first time or taking a class is a good motivator because it requires you to tap into your drive. Plus it is a great opportunity to get yourself out of your comfort zone and learn something new.

4. Write down your thoughts.

Unsplash

I'm a big supporter of journaling. I try to write every day in some form because not only is it a great stress reliever, but it's a great way to reflect and learn from life. I also find writing down random thoughts as a great source of inspiration because genius can come in many forms. Having a place to think unfiltered can be relief and inspiration, and a great way to learn how you think.

5. Self-care.

Unsplash

Self-care is different than treating yourself. You need to make sure you are physically and mentally within your capabilities to handle your work. You need to be able to recognize when you need a break. Lack of sleep or proper food can physically and mentally affect especially this time of year when time seems endless. The point is before you decide to pack in, see if an hour nap or actual food may help your headache.

I hope these tips help motivate you through this hump of time cause the light is so much brighter at the end of the tunnel.