I Am The Bad-Texting Friend You Complain About, But I'm Not All That Sorry

It's not you, it's me.

1136
Ana Bernardo

There's always one friend who never replies to group messages. Each friend group has that one person who replies late to a text or doesn't reply at all.

It's weird because I grew up in the generation where text messages first went big so you would think that I'd be all for it. Yet, I am that friend and I always have been.

In high school, my friends would beg their parents for a bigger text message plan, but I was the one with unlimited texting who used it only when it was necessary. I'd rather talk for hours on the phone or meet up with someone in person than go back and forth texting.

Yes, I will often see text message notifications and not answer them right away. I may even put my phone on the Do Not Disturb setting so that my phone doesn't vibrate and interrupt my time to do absolutely nothing.

Sure, I wish I could be better, but it is what it is.

It's nothing personal against you, I just really hate texting.

Look, I can't speak for all of us who are bad a texting, but I'm not all that sorry about it. You, as our friend, shouldn't feel bad because we're the worst at responding. It doesn't mean we value you any less nor does it mean we don't want to invest as much time into this friendship as you do.

We just invest our time in a different way. So, we will try to keep up the conversation through text as best we can, but we'd like it if you try to meet us halfway.

Text us to make plans for meeting up in person. Text us with a purpose other than just to talk. Because If you want to just talk, let's grab a cup of coffee. It doesn't mean I won't text from time to time, it just means you'll get a better conversation if it was face-to-face.

If this friendship is long distance, remember that schedules often conflict. Consider a phone call, facetime, or maybe even Marco Polo. Marco Polo is the video walkie-talkie app that resembles a cross between text messaging and facetime so it's an almost perfect blend for good texters and bad ones. I still lag on the responses, but I am working on it.

I am willing to try anything you may request but please, don't even suggest Snapchat! I've given it a shot and I'll log on every now and then, but I'd rather text than use Snapchat. I acknowledge it's a very unpopular opinion nowadays, but if you're just going to end up using the app to send a chat, you might as well just text. And no, the longest streak you have does not determine the stability or the intimacy of your friendship.

Real friends are more than that.

Thank you to the friends who've stuck around.

Sometimes people are too frustrated because they can't deal with my bad texting habits and I understand it. If it were the other way around, I'd probably be frustrated too. If you choose to stop talking to me because of it, I'll deal with it. I'll miss you, but I get it.

For the ones who don't mind waiting for a response or meeting up in person, thank you for dealing with me. I know it isn't easy. If you still want to complain then let's grab some coffee and talk it over.