Bad People Will Always Have Guns
Politics

Bad People Will Always Have Guns

Even if good people don't.

81
Bad People Will Always Have Guns
National Gun Rights

In this day and age, it isn't uncommon for a headline to mention something about people being killed due to gun violence. This sad event has become all too common. While many of us chalk these events up as another horrendous event and eventually forget, others have taken these matters to heart: with varying results and opinions. Some want gun ownership made completely illegal, others want less guns made available to consumers, and still others wish to see more people trained on how to properly and safely use firearms for self-defense and hunting.

I am proud to say I hold the opinion of the latter. Still, the argument becomes: if guns are banned, the amount of people killed by other people equipped with guns will go down. The question I propose is this: since when did criminals follow the law?

There are many Americans who view the second amendment as a part of their heritage--even if they do not participate in shooting, it is a vital component their American freedoms. Although many of these people are often portrayed as "redneck idiots" by mass media and popular culture, this is not often the case. In fact, Jennifer Lawrence, Whoopie Goldberg, Johnny Depp, James Earl Jones, Angelina Jolie, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Selleck, Gary Sinese, Miranda Lambert and Chuck Norris all support the second amendment--just to name a few.

Still the question remains: how will people access guns if they are made illegal or restricted? Well, in 2014, 191 metric tons of cocaine (20-25% of illegal drugs are usually intercepted) were "successfully taken out". This cocaine is manufactured in South America and smuggled into the US. People will always find a way to get illegal things, whether it be from other countries or from the US.

The point I am trying to get across is this: criminals will always find access to things that are illegal. If they do, how can good, upstanding law-abiding citizens protect themselves? Please, I urge you to watch the video I am linking below:

Imagine if the woman in this video did not have access to her firearm. In my mind, there is no question that she would not have been killed--or worse. The fact that she knew how to operate her gun and was able to access it in time saved her life! Note that she only calls 911 after defending herself. The average response time for 911 calls is 10 minutes. The average burglary time is 8-10 minutes. Thus, it is safe to assume the burglars are gone or on their way out by the time law enforcement arrives. It is too late for the residents at this point.

Bad people will always have guns. Banning them might take away some issues, but others will always rise up. People need to have more respect for firearms, and maybe more stringent classes should be required in order for people to obtain licences--but getting rid of guns is not the answer--it is just another problem.

In the words of Darth Vader himself (excuse me, I am a bit of a geek): "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” -James Earl Jones