Bad Housemates 101: What I've Learned

Bad Housemates 101: What I've Learned

Got a bad feeling about a certain situation?

33
Bad Housemates 101: What I've Learned
Macy's

We've all been there. We've all had at least one - an insane roommate/housemate/dorm floormate in college. Sometimes in life, you will run into someone that becomes one of your worst nightmares - but take it from me, the only reason why they're your worst nightmare is because you're letting them be (unless they actually harm you or permanently affect you in other ways).

For two years in a row, I and a few friends encountered people that thought it was a smart idea to blame all their dilemmas on us.

Anyone with psychological setbacks deserve to be helped so they can move forward; this is what I basically kept thinking. But of course, giving these specific few the benefit of the doubt was probably one of the worst mistakes I've made in life.

When someone starts to affect you emotionally, that's how you know they have welcomed themselves a little too far into your life. It may not be their fault that they've affected you this way, but it may be time to make it clear that this can't continue. You can't help everyone in the world. You need to watch out for yourself - this is exactly what I learned in dealing with people that manipulated me with their problems by constantly inviting themselves into my daily life, and throwing all their predicaments in my face so I would have no choice but to help them.

The second I started distancing myself from these people, the hostility increased. First of all, I genuinely have a pretty active lifestyle - I'm barely at home during the day because I have many classes throughout the day, plus work, and sometimes rehearsals for productions. One person I recently dealt with claimed that I was avoiding them - NOT TRUE. It's called living life and being busy. Cough, cough, get over it.

Now before anyone thinks this is my way of calling someone out, it's actually not. I want to share these experiences because I know there are a lot of you out there that want to help a person out who has made it clear they're struggling with something. But a warning sign should go up once you find out that they've been talking behind your back...and you know...not ever giving you space.

The one I most recently had to deal with never stopped talking about themselves, always in desperate need for attention. It also sucked because of the insane (and I mean insane) amount of exaggeration they'd use in every story they had to tell me. Exaggeration including a story so far as saying they've been demonically possessed a few times in their life.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I like supernatural stuff - if I could take a class on supernatural/paranormal elements, I would register right now. But...come on. During these repeated stories, ANYONE, and I mean anyone in the world could tell that it was all lies to get attention.

You know, the wide-eyed, childish look someone uses to appear innocent, all the while asking "You believe me right?"

When you think you're the only one that's uncomfortable around a certain person, you're probably not. I can guarantee you that your other friends who have encountered this person feel the same way you do, or at least slightly similar.

Let me emphasize this: There is nothing wrong with trying to be there for someone that has expressed they are in need of some emotional help - or just to be their friend. But there is also nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable about a certain situation you may be in from helping that person.

Be honest with yourself. Don't doubt your gut feelings. If you have a feeling deep down that someone you're trying to help out is using you, and manipulating you through some pretty intense exaggeration and desperation, (or something else) back away.

Don't make the mistake I made by allowing myself to get deeply involved. If you've got a bad feeling about someone - not for acting "out of the ordinary" if you want to call it that - for seeming like they're toying with you, get away from them NOW.

Lesson for Bad Housemates/Roommates/Floormates 101: Get out of the situation as quietly and as quickly as possible before they start blaming you for things that weren't your fault. Objectively not your fault.