How "The Bachelor" Is Ruining Real Life Romance

Second guess the rose.

26
MNR Daily

With the 20th season of the bachelor coming to a close, viewers have watched endless dates with parades of women. While "The Bachelor" is entertaining, it also has a serious impact in the minds of women. Season after season, viewers of "The Bachelor" see various men sweeping women off of their feet (sometimes literally), and doing extravagant actions day after day.

But the show is contrary to real life. People do not fall in love within a week or two, but just watch the show and you will see that women say, “I can see myself falling in love with him,” after the first date. It's not normal to drop the "I Love You" after a few minutes in real life. Just imagine if a guy told you that after a first date -- it would come across very strange.

The show glorifies the man to another level. It can make a nice guy seem like he is a god, and can make any small action seem like it is more deep than it is. There is an aura that seems to be placed on the bachelor. His every action is analyzed by the girls and is deemed a great act. Little things like holding hands, or making eye contact, is blown out of proportion by the women on the show. All of the bachelor's moves are glorified and the women are always saying in interviews that he is “the man of their dreams.”

Women seem to forget that this just a show. Normal people don’t travel via helicopter to a hot tub magically placed in the middle of a field, or travel from Bermuda to London to Croatia, Prague and New York City just for romantic, scenic date spots all over the world. Just think about the crazy amount of money spent on the different dates over the course of the few weeks. One of the reasons why the show is as popular as it is, is because of the extravagant trips and activities. The show wasn’t meant to be realistic; that’s why everything is filmed.

While the show in itself is fake, people seem to forget that crucial part. The show was created for entertainment value, yet people take the show so seriously. While it has a serious end, as being engaged to just anyone is extremely irresponsible, the women on the show seem to forget how serious it is. Choosing to spend the rest of your life with someone is a decision that cannot be made in front of camera men and viewers at home. It is a decision between two people, and the show interrupts that to commercialize a serious decision.

Another negative aspect of the show is that it pits women against each other. The moment they step out of their limos and into the mansion, they are taught that the other women are their competition. Gossiping and backstabbing quickly follows, as women try to do anything possible in order to earn their rose.

Women are taught that the ultimate prize is a man’s love. While most shows have prizes of money or trips, "The Bachelor"'s prize is a fiancé, expensive engagement ring, and attention. While love is a craving that most people have, the show makes it should be the only goal of women. But women are so much more than just a ring on their finger, or man at their side.

"The Bachelor" also seems to reinforce the idea of “love at first glance” or in modern times, “love at first match” on dating sites and apps. As lovely as that idea is, it is not all that common. Immediately falling in love with someone before you truly know them is not something that always works out (shown in the fact that most of the bachelors are not still with their winning ladies).

And one of the most obvious aspects of the show is the selection of the girls that are picked on the show. Blondes with perfectly-unperfect beach waves and shockingly similar wardrobes and non threatening jobs. The usual job list ranges from teachers and flight attendants to waitresses. I would like to see a contestant that’s a CEO or lawyer. It’s 2016, women hold positions of power in every aspect of professional jobs, so why is it that women like that are never chosen? It sets an idea in the back of girls' minds that true love can only be found if they have simple, non threatening jobs. It teaches that women in power are not worthy of a rose, or worthy of even getting on the show to begin with.

While "The Bachelor" can be a funny show to watch, it should absolutely not be taken seriously. It can make women strive for all the wrong aspects. Looks can only get someone so far and should not be the biggest factor when choosing someone to be in a relationship with.

But if you're still into it, go ahead and get that rose!