Avoid These Common Dangerous Road Hazards

Whether natural or caused by human, road hazards are the culprits of many car accidents, vehicle damage and injuries. Find out how you can avoid these common hazards faced by millions of drivers everyday.

29

According to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, about 21% accidents caused by young drivers and teens were due to lack of scanning the road for hazards.

We created a list of the most common, yet dangerous, road hazards drivers both new and seasoned are faced with every day and how you can easily avoid them.

Sunlight

Early morning sun can be brutal. Those that have the experience of fighting the glare of the sunrise, or sunset, can understand how blinding it could be. This common natural hazard can be beaten with proper eye protection. Always keep a pair of shades or sunglasses in your car. Another good idea is to keep your windshield clean. Sunlight glare could be worse through a dirty windshield.

Large Semi-Trucks

Semi-trucks are a literally huge hazard on the highway. Federal regulations require truck drivers to follow strict rules to driving on the highway to keep other drivers safe from a serious damages or harm. When driving, be mindful about your space with trucks. Never drive in their blind spots or the "No Zones". If you witness a semi-truck driving recklessly, report it immediately.

Distractions

Phones, food, makeup, beverages, fiddling with sound systems, etc.

A Fort Collins car accident lawyer says that distracted driving, along with reckless driving and intoxication, is one of the key factors to severe accidents. Distractions have been a major culprit of serious car accidents. The NHTSA states that distracted driving has claimed over 3000 lives in reported fatal accidents. Put the phone down and keep your eyes on the road. Any distraction that prevents you from driving safely puts your life and other lives in danger.

Potholes

Potholes are one of the biggest headaches and damage causing hazards on the road. Forbes magazine says potholes cause billions of dollars in vehicle damages per year. When driving, stay focused and try your best to avoid potholes with strategic driving. Avoid sudden braking if you are about to drive over one. This makes it worse. If you see a pothole in your town, don't be afraid to report it. Do some research on how to report one in your city.

Wet Roads & Rain

Both are in the same category of water related hazards. Wet roads and rain make the roads slick and difficult to spot any other hazards such as potholes. Rain itself can cause visibility issues for drivers. The best approach to driving in wet or rainy conditions is to decrease your speed and increase your stopping time. Another good tip is to have your tires and windshield wipers checked. If they are worn down, have those replaced just in time before the rainy season.

Construction Zones

Road work or construction zones have become a dangerous hazard for both the workers and drivers. When driving through construction, always remember to reduce your speed and to follow the posted orange signs set up near the site.

Wildlife

Here we have another doing of mother nature. Wildlife and large animals are a well-known accident causing factor. UC Davis researched wildlife related accidents and discovered over 7,000 crashes in 2016. One way you can prevent a wildlife related accident is to use your high-beams. Make yourself brighter in areas that have a higher risk of wildlife hazards.

Cyclists

Even though there are over ninety-million recreational cyclists in the United States, bicycles are very very difficult to spot and risk serious injury inducing accidents. Share the road safely with your fellow cyclists and treat them like any other vehicle on the road. Always check your blind spots and show them a little courtesy by giving them a little extra room when they pass by.

Related Articles Around the Web