5 Tips To Avoid Those Dreaded Thanksgiving Questions

Would there even be questions if you just talked to your family?

112

Every time we reach November 1st, right on cue college students start complaining about how they are dreading Thanksgiving. Some of them have valid excuses. But one excuse I am sick and tired of hearing is that they hate going home for thanksgiving because of all the dreaded questions.

"Who are you dating?"

"Why aren't you dating?"

"What exactly is your plan?"

For entire month of November we can almost guarantee that at least one person around us will complain if not a million more. God forbid your family wants to know what's happening in your life.

I never really understood why people stressed so much about the 'Thanksgiving questions' because I rarely have to deal with them. You wanna know how exactly I manage to avoid the dreaded questions? Here, let me give you a few tricks of the trade:

1. Call your parents.

You see, I talk to my parents on a regular basis. When important things happen in my life like a boyfriend, new job opportunity, or a new passion - the first thing I do is tell my parents. So, when it comes to major holidays such as Thanksgiving, we can actually enjoy each other's company instead of playing the catch up game the whole time I'm home.

2. Update your Facebook.

No, seriously. This sounds completely straight forward but MOST families are fairly reliant on Facebook for important life updates. Plus, this gives you an excuse to make your boyfriend Facebook official for the holiday season.

3. Text away.

I get it. Sometimes spending four hours a day on the phone with your parents trying to update them on every second of your life just doesn't fit into that busy college schedule. But it takes one second to shoot them a text about something major in your life. "Got that job!" "That date went well!" I promise you that your parents appreciate even the smallest tidbits you can send to them!

4. But really... Call your parents.

Regardless of how busy you are, calling your parents as often as you can is so so important. They spent their lives raising you to be the person you are and you can't take 5 minutes out of your week to give them an update? I feel like you can't really be mad that they have 552 questions by the time you get home in November.

5. Lastly, be thankful.

Your parents and family are showing a general interest in your life. I'm sorry, is that supposed to be considered a bad thing? My final tip is just to accept the questions and think of all the reasons why it is so good you have to answer them. You have a family who cares about your well-being, who genuinely are interested enough to even ask, and who have spent months wondering what was happening in your life.

So there it is, folks. Now, stop stressing about those silly questions and go load your plate up with homemade food!

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!