Assholes Illuminate Treasures

Assholes Illuminate Treasures

Let it go...

44
Assholes Illuminate Treasures
Emma Jeffery

A close friend of mine recently said to me, “If it’s not serving you – let it go.”

Have you ever spent a period of your life blinded, surrounded by a group of people who you thought were your ‘friends’ but who in fact just turned out to be a bunch of assholes? And if that doesn’t seem bad enough, you had to figure out the hard way, too? Many of us unfortunately have experienced this, I being one of them and another being, the close friend who said this to me.

But I am thankful.

I am thankful for that period in my life. For those assholes. They say when you remove yourself from a situation, you begin to see things clearer. I have been on a self-discovery journey for quite some time now. I have noticed that as my life changes, and I grow into the truest version of myself, my vibration is heightened and my frequency is more in tuned with those who are around me.

It hasn’t been easy, learning the hard way. Tragically losing the one who I so effortlessly shared a loving bond with. Being abandoned at my lowest by some of the people I considered my closest 'friends.' Feeling like there was no way up, like I had no one to trust, no one to vent to.

In reality, this wasn’t the case. I had just been stuck on what had been for so long rather than seeing it for what it was that I unknowingly pushed all the good away.

Too often in life we find ourselves in relationships that drain our energy and take focus off of what truly makes us come to life. We find ourselves lacking people who motivate us to grow in a positive direction. It is not until there is a knife sticking out of your back that you realize a person's truest colors.

It takes time to move on from the people you once knew, but you must be willing to let go to allow the universe to introduce you to those you’re meant to meet along your path.

My growth has lead me to the people who have SHOWN me what true friendship is. The ones who are the reason I am no longer surrounded by ‘assholes.’ The ones who are the friends that have turned into treasures.

I have learned that friendship is infinitely learning how to be a better friend. I do believe that all people who cross our path in life are meant to either teach us something about ourselves, or for us to teach them. Although I have referred to these people as ‘assholes’ they may not be, but my friendship with these people turned into a toxic one, one that no longer served me but rather hurt me.

I have let go only to experience life by meeting others who will only help enlighten my path.

A true friend gives you total freedom to be yourself, always willing to put your happiness before your friendship. They inspire you to live up to your greatest potential. They push you to be more accepting of yourself. They make you a priority, not left feeling like an option. They sit with you and share the burden of your pain when there’s pain to be shared and they celebrate your accomplishments with you when there’s accomplishments to be celebrated. A true friend is present and listens to what you have to say. They will always be there to support you through all the hardships of life.

I am thankful for the many relationships I’ve been able to learn and grow from. I now constantly feel surrounded by people who genuinely care about me. If you are lucky enough to experience true friendship, treasure it, hold onto it, nourish it and let it grow.

So when my friend said to me "let go of those who no longer serve you," it made me realize that by doing so, I have been able to watch those who do, blossom into bonds that can’t be broken.

I am thankful for the ‘assholes’ that have illuminated my treasures.